Oxburgh Hall


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Norfolk » Downham Market
December 10th 2010
Published: December 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

A romantic, moated manor house, situated south of Downham Market of Norfolk, has been the home for the Bedingfeld family since the 15th century.

There are a series of certificates presented by the Edward 4th, which he had acknowledged to build the fort in Oxburgh, displayed in the King’s Bedroom. When Sir Edmund Bedingfeld acquired the castle in 1482, it was in the middle of the War of the Roses. The Bedingfeld family were Catholic worshippers, and therefore their thoughts and life were frequently threatened and suppressed by the Tudor politics. Until the beginning of the 18th century, they repeatedly moved out of Oxburgh or lived abroad.

The Bedingfeld family were finally settled in Oxburgh at the beginning of the 19th century. At that time, the 6th Baronet of Bedingfeld inherited it. Tudor style interior and art had revived. The family refurbished Tudor style rooms and displayed a number of art collection and porcelain which the Bedingfeld family had collected abroad and restored the valuable needlework representing the Majesty of the Mary Queen of Scots. They also renovated the priest’s hole where the family had silently worshipped in the Tudor period. Visitors can look round those Tudor style rooms with numerous pieces of ceramics and art collection and the priest’s hole. Moreover, visitors can climb on the tower and overlook the grounds and countryside.

The Catholic Church was built in 1836. It is a brick building as the moated castle. The church has a number of monuments including the tomb of the 6th Baronet of Bedingfeld.

Furthermore, visitors are encouraged to walk around the parterre garden, herbaceous borders, kitchen garden, and explore the woodland walks.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb