Liverpool - Waterlilies, Sunsets and Sergeant Pepper


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Merseyside
October 22nd 2012
Published: October 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Guess who !!!!!Guess who !!!!!Guess who !!!!!

At The Beatles Museum
We had a holiday booked in The Lake District and decided to break our journey up the M6 by stopping off in Liverpool for a few days. There is so much to do and see and we had a job to fill it all in during our 3 days. We started by visiting the Walker Art Gallery near to our hotel and what a collection they have. Pictures from 17th century right through to the 21st century including Rembrant, Monet, Turner and Hockney.

On our first full day we walked down to the revitalised Albert Docks and went to Tate Liverpool top see the Turner, Monet and Twombly exhibition. What a delight and as stated in The Times "Three painters, three visions one triumph".

Next on the agenda was the Beatles Museum and it certainly brought it all back by way of nostalgia and influence on the music of the 60s and beyond.

We planned our route back to the hotel via the two great cathedrals of Liverpool. First the largest Anglican Cathedral in Europe which was described by Sir John Betjeman as one of the greatest buildings in the world. This was followed by the The Metropolitan Cathedral which is the pride and joy of the catholic community.It is spectacular in both scale and design.

Our last day was spent on a wonderful Beatles tour taking in the boyhood homes of John and Paul. Just to be in the homes where they spent their youth was a treat on its own. John's home was a pleasant middle class home which he shared with Aunt Mimi and her lodgers. Paul's home was in the middle of a council estate where he and his brother, Mike, were brought up by their father following the early death of their mother.

Both houses are in the care of. the National Trust who together with the guides do a wonderful job of looking after the properties. This tour is a must if you go to Liverpool.

Liverpool is well worth a detour on the way up to The Lake District.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

John with Bessie Braddock MPJohn with Bessie Braddock MP
John with Bessie Braddock MP

Bessie was a well known Labour MP for Liverpool.


23rd October 2012

Liverpool will have to be on our agenda the next time we're in the UK. Hope you're both well, must skype soon. My skype address is cherryll.birch xxx
25th October 2012

Down Memory Lane
Hello John...thanks so much for those very interesting photos especially the Beatles and the early days of John and Paul. Hard to believe that they lived just like ordinary folks and good to know that the fans can visit and see how they were before it all started!
27th October 2012

Interesting blog, looks like you had a great time, very good pics of Beatles things xxx Dunk

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb