Ladies and Gentlemen, The Beatles!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Merseyside » Liverpool
April 17th 2006
Published: April 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


111

Beatles Museum
Hello all,
I didn’t expect much in Liverpool. Thought of it as a shipping town—industrial, etc. I was pleasantly surprised. They have retained the old buildings as an art gallery, court house and library. Other old buildings are used for government functions. They are an interesting contrast to the high rises and malls that surround them. The Mersey River isn’t large, but they have made great use of their waterfront. Again, they retained many of the original buildings. And, of course Liverpool is the home of the Beatles. Could a visit be complete without visiting the museum dedicated to them. It was well done and took more than three hours to make my way through. The audio phones had forty entries. They were narrated by John Lennon’s sister. Many of the places we associate with the Beatles have been torn down, so the museum had re-creations—The Cavern, Abbey Road Recording Studio, John and Yoko’s white room. Other than John Lennon Airport, there isn’t much evidence of their contribution—who had ever heard of Liverpool before the early sixties?

There was one other thing I found interesting. Maybe it is a coincidence…but Liverpool’s main entertainment venue is called The Empire. Let’s see,
222

Empire Theatre in Liverpool
“All You Need is Love”= Mark Rashotte = The Empire Theatre. Hmmm. I had to see the inside, so I bought a ticket to “Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat”—the sing-along version. Same company that did the sing-along “Sound of Music.” By the time it was over, my throat hurt from laughing and attempting to sing along and my knees hurt from dancing. Lots of costumes—even an Elvis.

Spent an extra night before moving on to Cardiff, Wales.

Bye for now,
Donna










PS The last photo is a picture of a plaque dedicated to T.E. Lawrence of Lawrence of Arabia fame. The put one of these things on buildings where a famous person has lived, worked or was born. That do you think, 'Stu Meeks lived here.'



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

33
3

Blue Plaque


17th April 2006

Looking good!
Hey there travelling lady! Great to hear that you are enjoying your travels. What an adventure! Same old / same old here. The fam damily are still harranging about where to have the 60th... although you know who is pushing for Hunstville. I have a nasty chest cold which I hope to shake before I leave for Hawaii on Thursday. I so enjoy your commentaries. Thanks for including me on your list! Safe travelling and have a wonderful time!
18th April 2006

Sounds amazing, Donna. Think I would have enjoyed the "Empire Theatre" production, too. Take care... Marg P.S. The picture is a great idea!

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 991.9kb