Day 1 London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » London
April 26th 2011
Published: April 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The locals I've talked to so far seem divided into two camps over the Royal wedding. If you're over 50 you're excited about the wedding itself. Under 50 - and you're excited the days been declared a bank holiday and don't have to go to work.

It's hard to believe it's been 21 years since I lived and went to school here. Most of my university profs are now dead. The law firm I worked for has totally changed and is full of new people I don't know.

It feels like going back to an old neighborhood you lived in. Your old house still looks the same. But you're sad someone you don't know who has moved in. You hope someone on the street will come out and make a fuss over the fact you've come back. But no one does.

The day went on with more self-pity. I bought the map book the locals all use to get around the city and realize my eyes can't make out all the little street names.

Then decide to just take a moment and do a gratitude list in my head.
1. The hotel (the montana) is in an excellent location, within walking distance of princess diana's Old residence Kensington palace. It's clean, the staff are very nice. And it's cheap.
2. Susan who I'm traveling with is like most of my friends. fun.
3. The city is much cleaner. Because of the wedding Friday, and the upcoming Olympic games.
4. The traffic congestion chaRge to drive your car in London is working. Way fewer cars on the road, and the air seems cleaner.
5. The british currency ( pound) is cheap right now which makes the cost of things less expensive than it used to be

Today we're off to Harrod's. Susan wantS to buy a Burberry raincoat. And I want to see their food hall renovation. They've put in a whole high end grocery store which is supposed to be amazing. Might pick up some stuff for the fridge in our room.
Ps dodi al fayed (who died in the car with Princess Diana) dad used to own Harrod's and a ton of the jewelry which used to be owned by wallis Simpson. The lady who convinced the former king of england to abdicate because he wanted to marry her and she was a divorcee. spawning among other things the movie the kings
speech.my fayed decided that all this royal stuff was just bringing bad fortune to his family so he sold it all.

Love
Lynn





Love to all


Y costs
Ean












Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb