The Dambusters Inn - as much a museum as a pub


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lincolnshire » Lincoln
September 12th 2014
Published: October 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The Dambusters Inn

Scampton village, just North of Lincoln.

Every now and then you come across a place that you simply must return to. The first time we visited The Dambusters Inn back in July, we knew it wouldn't be long until we went there again. The opportunity came up again in September as we met up with Andrea and Mark who had introduced us to this amazing pub in the first place.

From the outside it looks like a very traditional British country pub. That's exactly what it is, but as you walk through the door you quickly realise that it is so much more than that. Every wall (even the toilets!), and every nook and cranny is filled with Royal Air Force memorabilia. It is so like a museum that they should charge an entry fee! Most of the items pay specific homage to the Lancaster bomber and the daring raids made by the infamous 617 Squadron in May 1943. It is an extraordinary collection.

Of course, it's not just about the history. They serve a range of beers and some of them also have an aviation theme. "Squadron Scramble" tastes even better in a bespoke Dambusters Inn pint glass! And as for the food - well let's just say that our waistlines could not handle too many visits there in a short space of time. Everything is delicious and the portions are more than ample. Even a visiting GI would not be disappointed with the amount of food on the plates.

So, our advice, drop everything and head to Lincolnshire for a bit of history and an excellent pub meal today!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



23rd October 2014
The Dambusters Inn

A pub and a museum
Wish we were there to have paint with you.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb