Concluding the SP Discovery Team Experience


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lancashire » Blackburn
September 6th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in updating my blog once again. I have been busy trying to reflect on the two weeks since being back.


The duration of the mission trip required team members to immerse themselves in many different situations and tasks. The first seven days, as mentioned in my previous blog, was spend in Rwanda where we participated in rural development projects, including funding and working on the construction of two houses; one for a widow and one for a recently orphaned twenty two year old boy who has the responsibility of caring for his two younger siblings. Time was also spent engaging in home visits to various vulnerable families and also learning about, visiting and supporting church led community mobilisation projects.


The next eight days of the mission trip were spent in Nairobi, Kenya. During this time we worked closely alongside Centre for Urban Mission, a partner of Samaritan’s Purse, in the informal settlements of Kibera (thought now to be Africa’s largest informal settlement), Korogocho and Kawangware. On some afternoons and mornings we carried children’s activities similar to those we carried out in Rwanda. Other times were spent doing home support visits to those suffering from the affects of HIV/AIDS - as part of a programme that is an invaluable source of psychosocial support - whilst other times were spend working alongside and assessing some of the small businesses established as a result of savings groups, similar to those set up in Rwanda.

The two weeks provided such a sense of encouragement of everything God is doing in the world through his people's hands and feet. I was astounded to see people using what little they had to try and make a real difference in their lives; the parable of the talents was being lived out. Physically, emotionally and spiritually it was a hard two weeks with alot of emotions and thoughts only being processed once back in the UK due to a busy schedule whilst away.

As a result of the two weeks I have changed the strand of International Development masters that I was due to start in a few weeks time and am due to commence my Masters in September 2011 ( financial reasons have meant that I have chosen to defer for a year.) I do now have a clearer idea of what area of International Development I wish to go into and Micah 6:8, a verse that one of our devotional bible studies was based around whilst away, proves a daily encouragement and influence to me; 'Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God.'

I hope to catch up with most of you in person as soon as possible.
Once again, thank you for all your support and prayers. The teams could not have gone ahead with such support.

Godbless you all now and always

Steph xx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb