Training


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Isle of Wight » Cowes
October 13th 2003
Published: October 13th 2003
Edit Blog Post

The Boat....The Boat....The Boat....

Well, this is the boat I'm on. Used to be called Tyco II. Serious stuff.
Well, I'm in. Felt like the proverbial spare part a lot of the time, not wanting to touch anything in case the guy 100ft (yes, 100ft!) up the mast suddenly came crashing down to the deck.

Did my fair share of grinding, which comes with the territory when you're built like a rugby player. How do you think that guy got up the mast?

Learnt a bit about the water ballast system, and had a safety briefing. Found out where the 'triangle of death' is, and also discovered that the 'first aid kit' includes a body bag! Nice touch.

The accommodation was pretty much as expected, i.e. a bunk, and, err, that's it. The only slight luxury is the curtain across the loo.

Also learnt to pack spinnakers, which I assume is similar to packing a parachute, albeit slightly less crucial if it doesn't unfurl properly.

I'm got to be on the boat at 9am this Wednesday, so I'm working tomorrow, to save a days leave. We'll be trying out a couple more sails in the morning, and leaving properly at around lunchtime.

I'll be out of touch, as the only comms is via satellite, which is hugely expensive.

Ciao.

M.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb