We are here!!!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hertfordshire » Rickmansworth
March 31st 2011
Published: March 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Finally I have 5 minutes to sit down and write in my blog!

We have been here for 13 days now and to say we are enjoying it would be a lie. The pub itself is lovely, very cosy and in the very rich suburb of Chorleywood – about 40 minutes out of central London. The people however are amongst the rudest I have ever met! They have plenty of money so of course they think it is their duty to treat you like utter sh*t. The children are spoilt brats and the parents will order a $50 rib eye steak for them to pick at!!!! No matter how good the food or service is, they always find something to whinge about, it makes me realise how easy going Aussies are!

The accommodation isn’t too bad. We are living above the pub and the room is quite big with 2 single beds pushed together (this was to be expected though). The shower was green when we arrived and had about 4 inches of mould in it, we scrubbed the sh*t out of it and lets just say that shower thongs are still required! We have lovely view from our room of the cemetery across the road and the church bells go off every hour, but you usually cant hear them over the traffic – awesome!

Most days we work split shifts, so we will start at around 10am and finish at around 4pm, then have a two hour break and work from 6pm until close which is usually around midnight. The wages are disgraceful for how hard you work, but the tips are really good. Mitch and I average around 25 – 30 pound per day between us, which is more than enough for us to live on without even touching our wages. With London being 40 minutes away from us we normally only go in on our days off (2 days per week) so there isn’t really anything to spend your money on here except beer and food. I did however have to go into London to buy some new shoes, my feet got to the point where they were bleeding because the blisters were so bad. I honestly thought my feet were going to fall off for a few days.

There is a town called Watford which is about 25 minutes on the bus from where we are, which has bigger shops and things to look at. We have been in there a few times when we need to get a few things, the bus system is a bit of a pain though.

Cars over here are so cheap, you can buy a convertible BMW for around £4000!!! If we were staying here for longer then we would definitely buy a car to get around in. The staff here are nice, we did have an Aussie guy working with us but he has just transferred to another pub. Most of the staff are either English (go figure!) or Slovakian, rumour has it that another Aussie will be joining us soon. Fingers crossed! Management leaves a lot to be desired though – one manager tells you one thing and another tells you something completely different!

In around 4 weeks time we are heading off to Turkey for 8 days – I cant wait! We will be spending Anzac day in Gallipoli and doing the trek up to Lone Pine….. fingers crossed I don’t die on the way up there.

Not much else to report.

Amy x



Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb