Canary Island Cruise


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hampshire » Portsmouth
January 22nd 2024
Published: January 22nd 2024
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 20th January

One of the advantages of taking a Saga cruise is that you have a courtesy car pick you up from home and take you to the Port. The journey to Portsmouth on a Saturday was without hitch, the driver had an eta arrival slot at the Naval Port so we had a 45 minute comfort stop en route.

The cruise terminal at Portsmouth was new to us since our last cruise this time last year, as soon as the car pulled up our baggage was taken straight to the ship, check in was very efficient and as David had the wheelchair everyone was so helpful.



As we arrived on board staff were lined up to greet us and escort us to our cabin, we had an adapted cabin to accommodate the wheelchair. Everything had been well thought out - automatic opening and closing doors, wet room which is huge, access without a step to the balcony, wardrobe had drop down rails, mirrors at an angle, I could go on.



Following the lifeboat drill the Captain announced that due to bad weather in the Bay of Biscay (Waves up to 10mtrs) for safety reasons we would not be sailing this evening. Whilst passengers were disappointed it is always better to be safe than sorry!



Enjoyed the evening meal and sat with a couple from Buckhurst Hill, not far from where we live. We had an early night and slept well in the very comfy bed.



Sunday 21st January - Further announcement from the Captain, we were saying in Portsmouth for another day as the weather if anything is worse than yesterday.

The Cruise director announced that as well as extra facilities/events on board there was also free shuttle buses to three different locations in the city. Also upon showing your ships card there was free access to the d-day museum.

We had visited this museum before so decided to stay on board, i went along to a craft class and made a pretty necklace, David enjoyed chatting to fellow passengers whilst I was getting creative.



We ate in the Italian restaurant which was lovely and hope to book again for next week.



Monday 22nd January - Hoping today we are able to set sail.

Another good night sleep and The Grill where we have breakfast seemed a lot quieter this morning which was nice.

At around 9.15 the Captain announced that we would be departing around 10am much to the delight of all the passengers.

The sun was peeping out of the clouds and so we sat on our balcony sailing past two huge aircraft carriers & the Spinneke as the harbour of Portsmouth disappeared from view.



We’re not sure yet of any changes to the itinerary because of our delayed departure but no doubt all will be revealed in due course, so for the next couple of days there won’t be much to report. We will enjoy the various lounges & facilities and all they have to offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb