2007-10-10 Back to England


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater Manchester » Manchester
October 10th 2007
Published: October 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Back to England

The long drive back to England from Munich through Luxembourg, Belgium and France. Also includes our day trips to York and Blackpool. That's a lot of kms...

Central Pier, BlackpoolCentral Pier, BlackpoolCentral Pier, Blackpool

It looked cool at sunset all lit up...
Well this might be our last blog of the trip. We are now back in England and are just counting down the days before we fly home.

After Oktoberfest we left Munich and headed for Belgium, full of exciting that we were on the final stretch heading home. We navigated back through Luxembourg for some more cheap fuel before crossing over into Belgium. We had planned to stay a night in Belgium and one in Calais before our ferry but we ran into some more car problems at a service station in Belgium. Our AA membership was definitley worthwhile as we called them out and they managed to start the battery and bash the alternator and get us on our way again but said "don't stop till you get to Calais!"

So we skipped staying in Belgium and instead stopped in Dunkirk (not too far from Calais). Did you know nothing opens in Dunkirk on a Sunday? We did get to go to a small war museum that told the incredible story of the Dunkirk evacuation and we had a wander along Flanders Beach but there wasn't much else. So we decided to head into Calais and even managed
York MinsterYork MinsterYork Minster

It's big and impressive, but we've done big...
to change our ferry ticket to leave that night. So, after one more French dinner, we were on our way back to Lew's Aunt's and Uncle's place, our last stop before home.

Once back with Lew's relatives it was go go go. The washing machine got another work out while we went about selling the van. A stupid mistake by the Autotrader meant our ad with them to sell the van was useless. This stressed us out a little as time was ticking but after readvertising it it wasn't too long before we finally sold it and both breathed a sigh of relief.

Although the delay in selling the van stressed us out, it did give us one last chance to explore the northwest of England and see what it had to offer. We spent a day at the medieval town of York. Which was nice but the weather wasn't the best. The weather did clear up the next day which gave us the opportunity to visit the famous english seaside resort of Blackpool. It looked like time has taken it's toll on blackpool but the sun was shining and fish'n'chips on the beach was the order of the day.

Today we are in Manchester City where we finally managed to update the blog, we are sight-see'd-out so we are just killing time before heading out with Lew's cousin Stephen.

Anyway it's not long now before we'll be home. We are both looking forward to catching up with everyone when we get back.

Cheers,
Lew and Holly


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

DunkirkDunkirk
Dunkirk

A window mural in the British War Cemetary, Dunkirk.
Calais ChurchCalais Church
Calais Church

Not sure what this church was called but it was a standout (we weren't expecting much in Calais)
Constantine was here...Constantine was here...
Constantine was here...

Outside York Minster. Supposedly he was declared emperor of Rome here a long time ago...
BlackpoolBlackpool
Blackpool

Brighton-Le-Sands on Crack!!!
The Golden Mile, BlackpoolThe Golden Mile, Blackpool
The Golden Mile, Blackpool

Horse and cart seemed a popular way to see the lights(that or a tram)
North Pier, BlackpoolNorth Pier, Blackpool
North Pier, Blackpool

Our takeaway fish'n'chips dinner view...
Blackpool LightsBlackpool Lights
Blackpool Lights

Lit up finally...


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb