4-Days before take-off


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Wimbledon
May 29th 2005
Published: May 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

PreparationPreparationPreparation

Stress - hopefully it will all be worth it!

Preparations


The traumas that ensued after we started to pack up our lives and take a major detour via 14 countries included the following:

*Reading travel guides and wanting to go everywhere and then trying to choose the places we want to go to most. Why is it that the place you want to go most is always the last place you read about?
*Learning to Kayak in the wonderful British weather. Carl being told he needs to spend more time upright.
*Getting hold of some neoprene socks. The full story will be published in a three-volumn epic once we find a publisher.
*Getting a very nice camera. No blaming the equipment here.
*Budgeting nightmares. How much? YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW!!!
*Booking a Round the World Ticket. 2 Months of struggle, the rules of an around the world ticket seem to be unknown to anyone at BA.
*Days of surfing the web to find a Galapagos trip we can afford.
*Finding a mover and choosing which things we should insure.
*Discovering South African Import regulations. Man do they make it difficult to return.
*Deciding to sell the car, deciding to take the car to SA, deciding to
Binks Binks Binks

Our beloved Bunny
sell, deciding to take, sell, take..... selling to Mr Andy.
*Redistributing our worldly goods. Selling some on ebay. Meeting some cool people who bought our stuff.
*Sourcing the clothes and gear needed for a trip with 4 seasons, with a total weight under 20kgs.
*Changing our address for everything. "You are number 101 in the queue, please enjoy this really tinny rendition of Greensleves while you waste half your day waiting for our understaffed call centre in Hungary to handle your call”.
*Resisting spending our whole travel budget on cool gear.
*Getting Inoculations. NEEDLES EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK. FAINT.

*Finding a new home for our beloved bunny Mr Binks. Cord and Leonie you are even better than carrots.

*Adopt a bottle party. Meant to give all our booze away but we still have stacks left. Realised just how many people we are going to miss.

*Recovering from adopt the bottle party.


*Saying goodbye. Sniff. Sniff. Boo hoo hoo.










Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 19; qc: 90; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb