London Baby!


Advertisement
Published: May 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a horrible 7 hour overnight flight on AirTransat, we finally arrived in London yesterday afternoon. We are staying at Gerald's (Josh's family friend) flat in Westminster, downtown London, which is unbelievable because it is so close to everything. The parliament buildings, West Minster Abbey and Buckingham palace are all about 5 minutes away, and we can see right into the windows of Burberry head office, where all the designs are made, right from the living room! Yesterday, the first thing we did was go out for food at this little English pub right around the corner and then walked around central London. For dinner and drinks we went to The Cinnamon Club which is apparently one of the best Indian restaurants in London. They had a martini lounge downstairs in the restaurant where they played Bollywood movies and made the most complex martinis I've ever seen! Josh and I realized that we were very underdressed for the dining room so it was somewhat embarassing, but after a few martinis we failed to care (maybe people thought that we were famous or something...)

Today, we walked around all day and saw most of the touristy spots in London. As everyone will see from the photos we will later post, that I could not figure out the UK power converter and thus had no access to a blowdryer or straightener haha. We also looked like major tourists with our backpack and Josh's cargo shorts. The day was awesome though, we took the riverbus down the Thames River and walked around the Tower of London and saw the Crown Jewels whilst standing on a conveyor belt, and saw Tower Bridge. After we had fish and chips for lunch, we started to basically wander throughout the city. We went to St. Peter's, where we got in trouble for taking pictures and felt it was too expensive to actually take the tour; then, eventually we got to Trafalgar Square, where we took lots of pictures and went into the National Gallery. Next, we went to Westminster Abbey and then got lost finding our way to Buckingham Palace. After a short rest stop and a pint in another pub, we were able to find our way there. After the palace we walked through St. James park and back past the Parliament buildings and then home. There's an election today too, so there are tons of news cameras and tons of policemen absolutely everywhere. At least it's probably the safest area in London!

We are about to go out for curry, so we will update you again soon!

Advertisement



6th May 2010

Stupid Idiot
In case there was any confusion, 'St. Peters' was actually St Paul's....wrong Saint.
7th May 2010

I figured your flight would be awful but it wounds like you've gotten over it! Glad you arrived safely. You sound so carefree with your getting lost, your hair not "done", and getting into trouble for photos! But that's what vacations are all about. Saw the political situation on the news and thought of you guys. Did you go into Westminster Abbey? Or the Gardens or one of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace? What great history; it all sounds so palatial, haha. I look forward to more stories... Love from Aunty Lisa
7th May 2010

the BLOG works!
Lisa C and I enjoyed a glass of wine and read your first report. It was GREAT! Happy that you're both having a good time. I love you baby! (imagine this with an English accent) talk to you soon luv, Mummy.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb