Chapter 4 - DAY34 -Paris to London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Victoria
October 10th 2011
Published: October 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Formelles CemetaryFormelles CemetaryFormelles Cemetary

Military Cemetary where 250 World War 1 Australian and British Troops were buried.
Today was our last day as we headed back across the channel to the UK and London. First stop was to drop Team Canada at the International Airport so they could catch their flight home. The rest of us (minus the West Australian contingent who were staying on for a week in Paris) headed north towards Calais and our Ferry.

We passed through the area surrounding Lille where some of the fiercest fighting took place during WW1. We headed for the village of Formelles, on the outskirts there was a Pub advertising Cock Fighting which is a still a big ‘sport’ in the area.

FORMELLES – FROM HELL
The reason for our stop in Formelles was to visit a Military Cemetery on the outskirts of the village. In July 1916 an ill conceived and tragic battle took place, in one day and one night1500 British and 5533 Australian troops were killed, wounded or taken prisoner.

In 2008 a mass grave was discovered at Pheasant Woods a small woodland area on the outskirts of Formelles.in 2009 a cemetery was established for 250 mostly Australian (but some English) soldiers found. As people read the explanation on the plaques near the
Final Resting PlaceFinal Resting PlaceFinal Resting Place

Technology has enabled most of the soldiers found in the mass grave have been able to be identified.
entrance and walked through the cemetery amongst he head stones tears were shed by most. A majority of those who died were aged 20-25 and they have been laid to rest so far from home. Many people on the tour had children about that age. It was a very moving time for everyone present.

It was a relatively quiet bus from Formelles through to Calais where we went through passport control. We had been instructed by Brendan not to engage in small talk with the officers, but the one we got was determined to have an in-depth discussion about the Rugby World Cup so what do you do!

CALAIS TO LONDON
The pressure went on though when it was discovered that anytime now the baggage handlers were going to go on strike so it was a mad dash to get organised and get on the Ferry so we weren’t stuck on the Warf. At one stage we were on the boat staring down at all our luggage on the ground below which was a bit worrying, but in the end it all came together and we were heading for the White Cliffs of Dover.

Another smooth sailing,
White Cliffs of DoverWhite Cliffs of DoverWhite Cliffs of Dover

A welcome sight as we return to the UK
we haven’t had a rough on the whole trip so far. It’s funny but as we headed back up though Kent towards London we almost felt like we were coming home. Maybe it was the common language and shared customs – or the fact we just loved London, but it was definitely a YAA were almost home moment.

On the way through London to the Thistle Marble Arch we detoured past many of the major central attractions, Trafalgar Square, London Bridge, 10 Downing Street, Westminster Abbey and a few others.

We had arranged to meet Leah (cousin) for a drink before we headed out to our accommodation near Gatwick Airport (tomorrow we fly from there to Italy). Timing was perfect, she turned up just as we had finished uploading our bags and we headed over the road to the Three Tuns Pub. It was great to catch up, in hindsight we should had spent a day in London which would have given us a chance to relax and the opportunity to spend more time with Leah. Maybe get out to Cheswick and see her home/village and visit her local! Still it was great to spend some time together before we headed off. In the end Jeanette just about fell asleep at the table she was so tired so we said our good byes and grabbed a taxi to Victoria Station and the Gatwick Express to the Airport. From there we took a shuttle to the Holiday Inn, our overnight accommodation – it was basic but perfectly adequate for our needs.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb