Hampton Court


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Richmond
June 13th 2011
Published: June 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Originally built in 1514, Hampton Court is one of the last remaining buildings used by english king Henry VIII.

I visited the court back in August last year, and absaloutly loved it. The difference i felt with this palace in comparison to other Palaces/Courts in London or surronding area was that it was much more visitor friendly. In most places I visited on my trip things such as photography was banned inside buildings and the places were very strict and structered, however Hampton Court seemed to take a different suit. They encouraged you to take photos, to get up close and personal with paintings and the rooms and the also put on various plays during the day to help take you back into the vibrant court of Henry VIII. All this promoted such a fun atmosphere. I went there with my mum and Aunty, and my mum even noted that it was her favourite palace because of the different activites help there.

Outside the palace when we arrive (was about 11.30am) there was one of 'Henry VIII' 's guards outside the palace entry way. In a way he reminded me of one of the queen's guards at buckingham palace in the way he never reacted to people getting photos with him or spoke to any one except for announcing the king was here. Once we went in, we picked up our audio guides. Here you can also get a cloke (free of charge) for the day so you 'blend' in with court life, which is kind of fun. We then headed off and began to look around the palace, starting with the Tudor Kitchens, Henry VIII's apartments, William III and Mary II's apartments the chapel and fountain court.

Afterwards we went out the back to the gardens and had a quick walk around followed by lunch we brought from home. It was extremly peaceful and relaxing. Off in the distance we could see some beautiful horses pulling a cart which visitors could sit on to go around the gardens in. I really wish we had a chance to do this but we ran out of time.

Once back inside we followed a crowd into one of the gardens where Henry VIII's 'new' bride Jane Seymour asked us fellow ladies of the court on if she should go through with the wedding (which is held daily for vistors). The actress and her maid were great, and stayed in character the whole time answering every question with great knowledge of that time. It was then interupted by the kings guard and messenger announcing that we all needed to join the King in the privy council. In the privy council (which is actually the same room that Henry VIII used during his time, everyone discussed the marriage as an open forum weighing up the pros and cons. For a Henry VIII geek like myself this was pretty fun. Afterwards the King took his bride to be to have a private ceremony.

Whilst this was happening we went and continued to look around. I came across many paintings of Henry VIII, which was extremly exciting. After looking around everyone headed for the grand hall where the new King and bride meet with everyone of the court. Afterwards we all followed the couple to cheers of "Long Live the King" to the courtyard where more about the newly married King and Queen were discussed.

After this ended we went and had a look around the 'Young Henry' exhibit which was located in Cardinal Wolsey's old rooms. This was a great exhibit focusing on Henry's rise to the throne and marriage to Catherine of Aaragon.

After all the walking around we were extremly tired and decided to head back to London. I believe that Hampton Court is a great day trip out of London, espically if your going with children as the abudance of history will certainly keep them and yourself entertained for a full day.

Thanks for reading

Cassie.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb