BRAZIL - RESEARCH


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Maida Vale
October 22nd 2007
Published: January 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Research

Websites:

www.BrazilTravelInformation.com
http://www.seetheglobe.com/modules/wfreviews/singlefile.php?cid=18&lid=570

1. - HI - Campo Grande - Campo Grande Youth Hostel
Ranking:
CAMPO GRANDE - CAMPO GRANDE (click images to enlarge) CAMPO GRANDE - CAMPO GRANDE This hostel is not yet bookable online. Please contact the hostel directly to make a booking. Campo Grande - Campo Grande Rua Juaquim Nabuco 185 Centro Campo Grande MS 79008-340 Brazil Tel. 55 + 67 + 33210505 Fax. 55 + 67 + 33210505 Attractions Facilities

Travel to the historical Brazilian towns of Minas Gerais near Rio de Janeiro

Review Resource · Rate Resource

Minas Gerias is truly an amazing world of its own with its fascinating baroque grandiosity that has been preserved for over two centuries. There are many small villages and historic cities that are a reflection of the prosperous mining boom of the early 18th century. This vast economic wealth transformed the region and resulted in the Brazilian Golden Age, a movement purely distinct of the Minas Gerias state. When you walk down the cobble- stoned streets lined with ornate cathedrals painted in pure gold, imposing colonial mansions, and intricate fountains you’ll be transported back to one of the most prosperous times in Brazilian history. The mountains, prehistoric caves, rivers and national parks of the area are also great places to experience the natural beauty of this historic region.

Ouro Preto and surrounding towns
Ouro Preto is a lovely baroque town that is perched on hilltops at 3,609 feet. Founded in 1698, the town is completely preserved and time hasn’t seemed to altar the dramatic baroque cathedrals and colonial houses that give Ouro Preto its strikingly authentic feel. Thirty minutes away is Mariana, a small town in comparison, but also an interesting place to visit. In the historic center of town you’ll find a wonderful mix of art nouveau and 18th century architecture. Further west is Congonhas do Campo, which is known as an artistic and religious refuge. Overlooking a lush valley surrounded by mountains, Congonhas contains some of the most celebrated achievements in art, including sculptures and carvings by Aleijadinho and painter Joao Nepomuceno Correia e Castro.

Diamantina
Diamantina is one of the only mining towns that acquired vast fortunes from the discovery of diamonds in the early 18th century. Set against the backdrop of the rust-colored Serra do Espinhaco highlands, the small town has many beautiful baroque cathedrals that reflect the pinnacle of the Brazilian Golden Age. There are also opportunities to bathe under waterfalls and explore the prehistoric cave paintings in the Serra do Espinhaco hillsides.

Tiradentes and Sao Joao del Rei
In its heyday Tiradentes was once one of the several mining towns that acquired a huge amount of mineral wealth. Today it is a quiet town of 5,000 inhabitants and a great place to view cathedrals and colonial buildings. It also has great shopping for handicrafts because of its strong artisan tradition. With over 35 to choose from, the nearby Sao Joao del Rei is a great place to view impressive baroque churches. The town also offers a train ride to Tiradentes that takes you on a lovely journey through the different landscape aboard an authentic 19th century steam locomotive.

Belo Horizonte and surrounding villages
Surrounded by the hills of the Serra do Espinhaco highlands, Belo Horizonte is the largest of the historic cities and also serves as the state capital. The bustling city has an interesting combination of natural beauty and architecture spanning two centuries. Mixed in with modern skyscrapers of the 70’s are art nouveau buildings, colonial mansions, and baroque cathedrals. Just 16 miles away is the small town of Sabara, which is also worth a visit for its widely celebrated cathedrals and Elizabethan theatre, the only one of its kind in South America.

The vast fortunes made from the mining era left a legacy that has marked this region with a distinct baroque and colonial flavor. After two centuries the small towns and cities of the historic Minas Gerias state are still preserved in all their founding glory, which makes this region a fascinating tourist destination.

You can find further information about highlights of Brazil here



By Michael Zurakhinsky
Travel Writer for www.BrazilTravelInformation.com - Brazil Travel Guide

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb