London Part Deux


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well this week has absolutely flown by and it is our last night in London before heading off to Cornwall tomorrow morning. Over the last few days we have crammed so much in that it is actually good to get away to the countryside for a bit of relaxation.

We’ve managed to climb the Tower Bridge and see how the drawbridge works, visit Westminster Abbey, take a tour of the HMS Belfast and go through an hour of horror that is the London Tower Bridge Experience. And that was just today!!!

On Monday, Sarah and I took a short walk from the hotel to visit the British Museum. People have always said that it was big, so I thought big like a football field. Try two underground football fields underneath another 6 on top of that and it becomes a little more realistic. We got through about a floor and a half before we had to move on. It’s absolutely mind boggling how much history this country has!! We are so used to spending a few hours at an Australian museum and seeing everything that has happened in the last 200 or so years. Not surprising that we couldn’t do it all in one day considering this country has over 2000 years of history back to the Roman Empire!!

After a huge day of English History, yesterday we took it pretty easy, not that we really wanted to. Sarah and I managed to wait at the Famed and the original Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum for at least an hour and a half before leaving. We couldn’t justify waiting what would be at least three hours for something we could see in Australia. After this we met Andy, a friend of mine from Wow at the Tower of London. Then a short walk to a small town called Wapping for a monster of a bar crawl. We managed to squeeze four pubs into 8 hours of what was a really good night as we got to meet to and get to know a few of Andy’s friends from Wapping.

Today, was a lot easier in terms of travel having discovered and mastered catching the Tube. A train to wherever you want to go every minute. It’s amazing how good the public transport is over here. There are about 15 different lines that cover about one square mile!! Even though they had three lines completely shut down for maintenance and another four only operating at 50% capacity, we hardly noticed a difference. The HMS Belfast was by far my highlight for today. The old WWII warship is permanently moored in the Thames River as a tourist attraction. We were able to go through the entire ship as well as the bridge and Infirmary which was nothing but awesome. But after finishing all we can in the way of tourist destinations until October when we fly back to Oz, we are going to head out and find a nice Chinese takeaway or restaurant and have a pretty quiet night.

Next up... Cornwall – Land of the Trevarthens!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb