London Day 1: Becoming Cattle


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cork AirportCork AirportCork Airport

Shrimp Cocktail potato chips
Early flight leaving Cork..I was sad to leave Ireland.
Arrived at Gatwick London Airport got our luggage and headed to the express train to our hotel.
As soon as we get off the train it's a madness, our hotel is two blocks from the train station..so we are standing at the corner staring at the map trying to figure out which way to go. A nice British gentleman helps us.
We check in...it's a nice hotel, on a main road in London but not nearly what we had in Ireland. We were spoiled there!
We have to pay for internet service, which we decide to do since it's our only form of communication with home.
And we have two single beds! LOL! I just shove them together...since that's what they'll do if i call down to the front desk.
We decide to go explore and grab some lunch.
UGH. London is like hearding cattle. People in a hurry everywhere.
We stop and ask a street vendor where a good place to get a sandwich, he tells us Pret.
Ok so we go in...ummmm...Pret it's nice but it's like getting your lunch at a gas station, peel the plastic off the top
FlightFlightFlight

Aer LIngus flight to London
and go.
Not what we are looking for. So we explore on our own.
Find a place to SIT and be served lunch. And then waunder.
We go to Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, House of Parliment...all of which you can't go inside.
Well Westminster Abbey you can for 15pounds/pp and you can't take photographs. What's the point if i cant share what we saw! 😉
We had been walking alot and were pretty far from our hotel so we decided to take the underground back to the hotel.
Before leaving the states we paid for a London Pass. It is unlimited use of the underground, buses and trains and gets us admission into like 55 attractions.
The guy at the underground tells us we have to exchange our vochure at Victoria Station which is BACK next to our hotel so we hoof it.
Get back and they lady at Victoria says to us, you have to exchange that at the visitors center at Pickadilly...which is close to Westminster. UGH.
I clearly noticed they sold them there so i asked her..."i can purchase one here and get it but i can't exchange my vochure" YEP.
Came back to the
FlightFlightFlight

Leaving Ireland :(
hotel and took a nap.
I was NOT enjoying my first day in London.
Had dinner at this little restaurant close to the hotel...ICK.
Skyped with my parents, grandparents and Jared's mom and went to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Park Place VictoriaPark Place Victoria
Park Place Victoria

View from hotel room
Park Place VictoriaPark Place Victoria
Park Place Victoria

View from hotel room
Park Place VictoriaPark Place Victoria
Park Place Victoria

View from hotel room
Park Place VictoriaPark Place Victoria
Park Place Victoria

Two Single Beds
Buckingham PalaceBuckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace

They were doing work outside of it so I'm hoping to a better picture before we leave
Buckingham PalaceBuckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace

Jared and a Bobby...i think this is one of my fav pics from our first day of London.
Downing StreetDowning Street
Downing Street

It's gated off you cant walk down.
Big BenBig Ben
Big Ben

My first Big Ben sighting


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb