Stonehenge and Salisbury


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
September 29th 2009
Published: September 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday September 29
This morning began at 7:00 with breakfast of eggs toast and English bacon,which is a lot like Canadian bacon. Or is it the other way around...probably so. 
Jerry had the whole day planned out perfectly. We sfarted out at Victoria Station, changed twice on the Tube then caught a hour and thirty minute train ride through the English countryside. The plans went off without any problem and we are  now on the return trip from Stonehenge and Salisbury. We had lovely weather and sun all day. 
Stonehenge is an ancient site with giant stones erected in a circle. On solstice, the sun would shine between particular sets of stones and helped the ancient people with their calendar.
The second stop was the town of Salisbury.  In the cathedeal there is housed the English Magna Carta. It was from this document thar our own founding fathers framed the ideals in our own Constitution. I am constantly amazed by the age of the buildings here.  The cathedral is from the 13th century and is used as the town church every week.
We grabbed a light lunch of freshly baked bread, local cheese and two home grown apples at the village farmers market before catching the return train to London.
As we come close to London I see the fog moving back in.  Looking forward to only one more night of yucky British
food.  Does anyone know what it means when the menu offers "bubbles and squeak?" we ate it but I won't cook it when we return home.

The pictures came out gorgeous BUT... I STILL can't upload. Any to this site. I need to download some program that won't attach to the iPhone.
Oh well you can see the show when I return.
Looking forward to travelling to France tomorrow. Don't know if I will get the chance for an update.
TTYL
Kristeen


Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb