Tea and Crumpets in London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
July 31st 2009
Published: August 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

During Andy's final week of classes in Madrid, our friend Christine came over from Chicago. We spent a few days in Madrid and then her and I (SJ) headed up to London for a week! This left Andy plenty of time to study up for his big week of finals! We took a short flight from Madrid to London and quickly realized the difference in temperature. No more 100 degree days... much cooler, around 70 and a few days of rain. I thought weather.com was joking when I checked the forecast ahead of time, but I guess it was correct. So much different than the hot Spain weather we were growing accustomed to. We were very excited to find a Mexican restaurant on our walk to our hotel, which was so good! The food in general was one of the great things about London. There was such a variety of ethnic restaurants that we were able to satisfy every craving we had ever had and it was all so delicious! Included in this would be the classic fish and chips supper and English tea... sipped with the pinky up of course.

During the week we tried to see as much of London as we could. I didn't realize exactly how HUGE the city was until our first day out walking from place to place in the city. We saw the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace, which was quite an experience. More than seeing the actual changing of the guards, we saw every other single tourist in the city for the day, all trying to see the same thing, at the same place, at the same time. Apparently the queen was in the palace that day as indicated by the flag above the palace. We didn't see her, although we were watching for her to be peeping out the window! One day we strolled along the Portobello Road Market, which is street full of shops and vendors with a wide variety of treasures being sold. Another day we spent at Hyde Park and seeing London's big monuments like Big Ben and the London Eye.

A highlight of our time in London was seeing a broadway musical in one of the many enormous theaters in London. We went and saw Wicked, which was fabulous! It completely changed the way I know think about the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz, which is an important concept to be pondering of course. The music and special effects along with the setting was simply amazing.

On our last day there we took a train day trip outside of London to visit Windsor Castle. It was about 40 minutes outside of London City. Windsor Castle is where the royal family lives. Not too shabby of a home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The main eventThe main event
The main event

Changing of the guards...
Buckingham PalaceBuckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace

Beautiful flowers in the front....
Which way do we look?Which way do we look?
Which way do we look?

The cars just seemed to come from every direction.
Our hotel... very cute!Our hotel... very cute!
Our hotel... very cute!

And they had my new favorite cereal of CORN FLAKES!!!!!!!!!
Real Mummies at the British MuseumReal Mummies at the British Museum
Real Mummies at the British Museum

They were fascinating... even had some hair and finger nails still.
Why wouldn't you buy this?Why wouldn't you buy this?
Why wouldn't you buy this?

At the Portobello Road Market
Or you could buy a phone...Or you could buy a phone...
Or you could buy a phone...

At the Portobello Road Market


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb