Day 11: York/ London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
September 9th 2008
Published: September 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It’s been a fairly uneventful day, most of it spent traveling between York and London. The YHA York hostel has set a new precedent for what a hostel should be. The room was clean, and bright with big windows, and each bunk had its very own reading lamp (I sound like a quack being excited about something like that, but it’s the simple things…). The Hostel was housed in a giant Victorian manse, in the middle of a gorgeous green lawn with big trees. The wireless internet was actually FREE!!!! It was by far the best hostel we’ve had the pleasure to stay in, quite the contrast to where I’m sitting now in fact. The Generator Hostel in London has a fantastic common area, great bar, and decorative atmosphere, but if they spent half the money they spent on making the reception area look cool, on the bedrooms, maybe it wouldn’t smell like rotten socks.

After we were checked into the hostel we set out to see Queen Mary’s Gardens in Regent’s Park, because we figured it wouldn’t be on the list of destinations for the free tour tomorrow. Half of the gardens were made up of every kind of
Britannia RosesBritannia RosesBritannia Roses

The Latin root of my name
rose you can imagine, and in the middle was a small island surrounded by a pretty pond and moat, that was home to many ducks, geese, and a koi fish that was twice as big as my dog.

By this time tomorrow I will be exhausted and most likely struggling to drag myself to the dining hall, and I’ll love every minute of it! We’re taking two different tours (once again put on by the company that hosted the tours we did in Amsterdam and Edinburgh) one is the Royal Tour which will take us to the important more recent sites around London, the second will delve into the older city of London, and by the time we’re done it will total about 7 hours of walking around the city. That being said, I need to get in bed!
Cheers,
Britany



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Blue billed duckBlue billed duck
Blue billed duck

He was floating around the pond in Queen Mary's Gardens
Really cool flowersReally cool flowers
Really cool flowers

Any ideas what they are? Anyone?


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0971s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb