Day 11 - Back to the 80s


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Goodbye Paris and hello London! We set off on the Eurostar for a really nice trip under the English Channel. I can really recommend the Eurostar first class. It was only a little bit more expensive than the standard class, and for that we got some really super comfy seats, were served champagne and a decent meal, and didn't have to deal with any screaming children.

The french countryside rolled by as we ate - which is beautiful - and then we were in the tunnel. The tunnel is much shorter than I thought it would be. Then we were in England. It was great to be back in english speaking territory, and where everyone is driving on the correct side of the road!

It is funny how it is kind of different, yet familiar. London could almost be another city in Australia. Except that the architecture is better, there are red double decker buses rolling about, and it's a damn sight colder. But I feel at home already.

We are staying at the Paddington Hilton which is nice, and very convenient to everything. There are loads of shops nearby and it is on several of the tube lines. The supermarkets here are great. Wish they would move to Australia! The Marks & Spencer in particular is fantastic - they sell all sorts of ready made meals and things, which are tasty and reasonably priced.

We got settled in and rested for a while, as tonight we were off to a concert - the 'Here and Now' tour featuring a bunch of 80s and early 90s artists. This was at Wembley Arena which was nice and easy to get to.

The concert was great! We saw ABC, Johnny Hates Jazz, Paul Young and the highlights - Bananarama and Rick Astley! Both were fantastic, especially Rick - he still looks great and he performed really well, lightly poking fun at himself along the way. It was a great concert, really worth the money.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb