Harry Potter & Hyde Park...one for the kiddies...


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday was the sunniest day of the year so far. I think it managed to almost reach 30 degrees! Yes thats right! About time that it was my turn to gloat about the sun being on MY side of the world...And being the Harry Potter fan that I am, I thought I would spend the day running around London in the sun, and find all the famous sites from the movie.

The first stop was Kings Cross Station. Now for those of you who have never seen Harry Potter, you may find this a bit boring....but for those of you who have, it was so exciting!

Kings Cross Station was where Harry left to take the train to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.

The bridge shown in my photos, is in the scene where Hagrid gives Harry his train ticket and wishes him well, while platform 9 3/4 (nine & three quarters) is where Harry disappears through the wall to catch the magical train.

The actual wall that was used in the movie, can be found on flatform 4 at Kings Cross Station. However, the nice people that run the station have put a sign up between platform 9 and 10 and have installed a luggage trolly half stuck in the wall for tourists.

Yes, we were the only fools running around Kings Cross Station taking photos of brick walls, but i am sure that those passing by knew what we were doing.

Next on the list was Diagon Alley. Diagon Alley is actually found in Scotland, however, the streets that Harry & Hagrid walk through on their way to Diagon Alley can actually be found in London city centre. Lucky for me, my housemate Charlie works right near the famous streets, so we had no problem tracking down the scene of the movie.

After a little hunting around the area, we also found the door to 'The Leaky Cauldron', the little meeting place for witches and wizards, that was used in the movie. Although now painted blue, it was very recognizable from the scene.

Yes, I may sound a little fanatical about the Harry Potter series, and I am...but so are millions of little kids and millions of adults around the world. As of April 2008, the seven book series has sold more than 375 million copies and has been translated into more than 64 languages.

After a long day of walking from one end of London city to the other, we made our way to Hyde Park for a nap.



I have added some pictures of the scenes from the Harry Potter movie, so as those of you who aren't familiar with it, can see what I am talking about...

Enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



28th February 2011

HP help! :)
Hello - I love that you went searching for these places! I am coming for a visit to the UK from the US and would love to do the same tour of the HP sites. Do you think you could give me the addresses of these places, so that a non-Londoner would be able to find them please? THank you!! :) GG

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb