chapter 1


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
April 12th 2008
Published: April 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

hi all,

touched down in London on Tuesday after little to no (real) sleep on the 24 hr flight. After some initial scrutinising from custums (seems it's unusual to be allowed 3 months holiday and to not have an itenary) found my way easily to the pre booked YHA accomm. and immediately started looking around town. The YHA is modern, clean & very central so sightseeing is a breeze on foot, there's also easy access to a very well structured, if not busy at times, P.T. system.

It's now been five days in and I'm just starting to feel right again after a combination of Sydney last gig/going away celebrations, jetlag & a cold which had been sitting at the back of my throat for 2 weeks in Melbourne...I always new it would hit me here!

It's amazing how much you can see in a few days when that's all your agenda is, I must have walked at least 60 kms so far taking in St Paul's, Buck Palace, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, The Eye, Museum of Natural History etc, etc, etc..... My highlight so far was yesterday's vist to the British Museum, incredible exhibits (gathered under questionable circumstances in many cases) from hundreds of thousands of years of human ancestral history.

Bought my Eurail Pass yesterday and a ticket to Brussels for Mon 14th, which is where I'll start the continental leg of my journey. The Busabout idea was a complete disaster as it wouldn't be coinciding with my plans until late May, so although the rail option isn't cheap (around $2600 AUD) it does give me first class comprehensive access to all the countries I want to visit and more with the exception of Czech Republic. Really looking forward to this next leg as although this is a huge, vibrant & historical city, England is all a bit too easy, and i'm constantly reminding myself, double that & a bit more, with every purchase!

Catching up with Stuey (our Printcomm London connection) tomorrow for a few pints and to watch the London marathon go by. Apparently it's a huge event that gets quite entertaining with the help of some colourful entrants. Should be fun.

Weather has been good so far, a little rain today but most days have been mainly fine and in the low teens. The mornings and evenings are very crisp and although most locals seem to be comfortable in normal clothing & relishing the fact that it's Spring, this Melbournian is very happy he packed thermals and a scarf!!!


hope everyone's well at home.

cheers

Dave
xo

p.s. haven't sorted out the photo thingy with this yet....stand by.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb