The last five months...


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

So I haven't added an entry in here since January 24th...let that prove 1) how hard it is to get to an internet cafe in some places, 2) how much internet cafes cost when your on a budget, and 3) how lazy and forgetful I am...oh well...live and learn (mum)...

So I should really start from where I left off, which was January, so I'm going to try really hard to remember everything that's happened since then but I will probably miss out a lot of things so it might not make as much sense as it would had I written it at the right time...anyway here goes....

January 26th was of course Australia Day, even though we celebrated it a little later than the rest of you, we tried to get the day off work for national pride reasons but evil Rose wouldn't let it happen so we went to work and sat on the couch and watched MuchMusic as usual...we did get to finish a little early I think so we went home and changed into our aussie colours (see photo) and took off to the pub for some good old Australian beers...or only one Australian beer coz they charged $6 for one VB which I don't think Tone even ended up drinking. But everyone was happy and having a good time, the pub was crowded (since most people at Big White were Australian) and the traditional songs kept coming. After getting some huge scratches from slipping in the snow (how does that happen?) and stealing a jug of beer we were off to the other pub to see what was happening there. Apparently we got there too early (we had started our celebration at 2pm) so we decided to head home for a game of indoor living room cricket. The landlord couldn't understand why we had electrical tape all over the carpet.

Over the next few weeks we kept working and also said goodbye to some of the good friends we had made at Big White who were moving on or going home. We also decided that we had had enough of Big White and its dirty sheets and decided to quit our jobs and head to Whistler for a few days. Evil Rose our boss planned a staff party the night before we left but didn't even let us go since we had quit two days before (I'm still mad at her) so we had a quiet little going away party with our closest friends and had our last board in the champagne powder then caught the bus down to Kelowna on Thursday afternoon, February 8th.

We had a few hours to kill in Kelowna, so Mel and Jeanette took us to Mama Pandas...an all-you-can-eat buffet with every type of food you could want and as many fortune cookies as you can eat! We made ourselves feel a little sick because we did have all night to waste so what else can you do but eat! We then made our way over to the Greyhound Bus Depot where we waited for our 11:45pm bus. The bus depot is probably one of the strangest places to hang out late at night in, we almost scored ourselves a free snowboard and boots! Finally the bus came and we headed back to sunny Vancouver to meet Casey and Matt. We got some missed sleep from the night before in Casey and Matt's hostel room and then jumped on another bus headed for Whistler to meet up with RJ and Jason.

Now we knew what we were missing out on. Going from what you can't even call a main village to what felt like a city more than ten times the size we realised the difference between Big White and Whistler. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret going to Big White and it wouldn't have happened any other way but it's such a big difference. So we lashed out and ate MacDonalds and Japanese and went to the movies and had a good night out and spent all our earnings on a lift ticket for Whistler/Blackcomb. And we were finally the ones staying in the fancy condo and relaxing in the hot tub instead of being the ones who cleaned it!

From Whistler we headed back down to sunny Vancouver and me and Tone left our snowboards with Casey and Matt who were headed back to Sydney in a few weeks and were taking them home for us (where are they by the way???), then we found the cheapest (except for beautiful Pender Lodge, our first home) hostel not too far from downtown Vancouver. I don't think they charged us for the bedbugs or the old man conversations while you're cooking two-minute noodles in the microwave but we didn't mention it. We had nearly two weeks left in canada which we spent doing things we hadn't gotten to last time and just hanging out a lot and trying to stay out of the rain, ha. We were also looking forward to our next place....LA!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb