Back in the USSK


Advertisement
Published: March 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Okay so let's say this right off the bat, there are at least four different names for the airport in Naples. The signs on the motorway may or may not have a pictogram of a plane next to one of the names and the pictogram for the civilian airport is the same as for the International airport. There are no kilometres on any of the signs and some places the arrows poit in two opposite directions.
The Lonely Planet guide says you need a death wish to drive in Naples, I'd settle for a decent road sign! Eventually we spot a carabiniere who is booking some motorist for staing in the right lane and then indicating when intending to overtake, so I get out and the policeman manages to give me directions I understand.
By following these directions we see where we should have turned off and manage to get back on track. Moya spots a sign to the rental car return place which no one else sees and we make a quick turn. There are no more signs exept one to airport parking so we decide that this will be close enough so turn the corner only to find the sign for the rental return spot!
You wouldn't think it would be easy to hide an international airport but trust me, three reasonably intelligent and well travelled people struggled to find it in Napoli!
Of course finding the airport is only the first part, we have to find the desk get our passes, play a game of travel scrabble, spend our remaining euros on pastries and coffee, wait while Moya gets the full security treatment have my passport stamped departing Italy on 17 April??? and catch the bus to the plane!
Two games of scrabble and a sandwich with a four day expiry date later we touch down in Gatwick and take the 20 minute (serious) walk from the plane to the exit.
Outside it is cold and overcast and suddenly I wish I was back in Italy!
Dinner omn what is to be my last evening in the UK is with Helen and the cousins which turns out to be at a very acceptable Chinese Restaurant (Moon in Moon) in Sunbury village followed by a drink or two back at the house before goodbyes are said and Simon drops me off at M & G's for the last sleep before SFO.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb