Arriving in London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Islington
December 1st 2010
Published: February 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

To begin this blog we really must start at the beginning, which means the arrival at Heathrow airport on the 1st of December.
Many people said to us that it never snows in London, that it is cold and miserable and full of grey sludge. They could not have been more wrong! What we saw the moment we emerged from the airport underground was a winter wonderland. Snow was everywhere and we had arrived at the beginning of one of the coldest London Decembers on record. Our trip on the Picadilly line into London central took us through quaint London suburbs which were covered in white powder neither of us had seen before; snow. The rustic outer suburbs of London were covered in snow and it added to the charm we had come to expect from this glorious city.
After a short journey we arrived at bustling Kings Cross station, exited and stepped out onto busy Pentonville road. Although we had been prepared for the cold from all the advice we had been given there are no words that can quite convey how cold zero degrees is. The still air was biting, and it took a matter of seconds before the cold was through your pants and tearing into your flesh. My face was already hurting from the cold when we decided to jump in one of the famous London saloon cabs and on to our destination; Angel.
We arrived at the place we would call home for the next month and carried our luggage up the stairs and into the cosy apartment. 424 St John St was something we were not used to but have now come to expect in London. Washing machine and dryer in the the kitchen, electric shower, no light switches or electrical outlets in bathrooms and many people squashed into one pretty small house. None of this mattered though because we were out of Aus, in London and ready to begin the adventure of a lifetime.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb