Hello from Jolly old London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Hammersmith
September 10th 2006
Published: September 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy,

I am here. After a 7 hour flight & 7 hours at Toronto International Airport I am here!

I have not slept in 30 hours so I am almost falling asleep at the keys. I'm at the Globtrotter Inn at Stamford Brook, Hammersmith. It is like an old, old hospital. I haven't seen the rooms yet cause guess what.......I can't check in til 2pm. I got here at 10am. If I had of known that I would have gotten an all day pass for the tube & just rode around to see what's about. But I paid £4 & I don't want to pay another £8. But the day is still young so anything goes. The hostel is groovy, they have a poolroom, cafe, shop, internet cafe, courtyard and best of all a pub.

It hasn't opened yet but guess who will be their 1st customer. I actually had a vodka on the plane. That is the 1st grog I have had. We were 4 hours into the flight & I thought, what the hell. If I have to pee lots I only have 3 hours to go. Not that one vodka would make me pee lots but add those to the 3 I had waiting for the plane it might.

I kinda felt like Kath & Kel wandering around the airport, having my holiday there. I didn't buy any funky jumpers or sneak into any VIP lounges though.

The flight was good, I must be jinxed, what is with me getting stuck watching Tom Cruise movies over & over while I am travelling. At least it wasn't Top Gun. I would have jumped out of the plane.Mission Impossible 3, on the way from Vancouver to Toronto & Toronto to Heathrow, good I hope it's not on my next flight. I sat next to a very lovely Indian man from the UK who was going home. The most lovely part was he didn't talk to me the whole way. We both tried to sleep. Not very successfully I must add.

When we were called onto the plane the lady said have your boarding passes, passports & visas ready. My heart sank......visas?.......WHAT VISAS??????????? I asked my travel agent 100 times do I need any visas, he assured me I didn't. I looked on the web to see if I needed any visas.....no I didn't. I very nonchalantly walked up to the gate. I figured if I was quiet enough she might not ask me for one. I handed her my passport & boarding pass. She replied with "Thank You, have a nice flight"......PHEW!!! I think they like to try & scare the passengers, in this case it worked.

Landed 1/2 hour early at Heathrow, it was very foggy so I didn't get to see anything but the runway flying in. Lined up for 1 & 1/2 hours to get through Immigration. She wanted to know where I was staying, how long, who was my tour through & finished off by asking me what I was going to buy in Thailand. She was suitably jealous of my plans. Walked through the customs doors and Holy People Batman!!!! There were at least 1,000 or more people waiting for travellers on the other side. They had signs & flowers & balloons. People were hugging & crying & laughing. It made me excited thinking about the reception I will get when I get home. Not that I want flowers or balloons. Just the gorgeous faces of whatever family members can make it....lol

Found the tube ok, got on the Piccadilly Line (which was the right line) got off at Acton Town station to swap to the District Line (again, right line) then got off at Stamford Brook. Walked to the hostel & have been hanging out here ever since.

I don't feel as though I am jetlagged, just very tired. Didn't have the best sleep my last night at the hostel in Toronto, walked around there for 4 hours before heading to the airport. I guess all the waiting around is not doing too well for me. Plus my body clock is still on Canada time which is only 8am.

All in all it's been a good trip. I only got a little nervous the once about the visas. I thought I was going to panick about the tube but you were right Marguerite, it's easy peasy. I went on the Metro in Montreal by myself & that was all in French, so I kinda knew I would be ok with this. English helps alot.

Don't know what I will do with the rest of today. I will definately have a shower & a kip. Then I might just jump on the tube & see where I end up. Or sit in the bar & meet people. I don't want to waste the day. Tomorrow I'm off to see all the wonderful sights London has to offer, might even pop in on Lizzie to see how's she's holding up. I'll do the eye & the bus. I have decided that (funds permitting) I will spend another night here when I get back from Scotland instead of heading straight to Justin's. I just know I will need more time to look around this brilliant city. I wonder if they will have as many crazy people as Canada had..........OR MORE!!!

I'll sign off for now & I'll write more before I leave on my tour which is only 1 & 1/2 days away.....tell me I'm not busting at the seems for that!!!

Take care all
Ciao for now
Love Kel
xxx

Advertisement



11th September 2006

oh that blog made me laugh and sigh. ur poor thing with all that waiting and all those Tom Cruise movie experiances. Who knows u might bump into him. I feel for u that u have not had much sleep. But hey, u can sleep when u get home. Just enjoy it, get some drugs into u and get ur body moving. Um, have u heard the new news? First it was Steve Irwin, now it is Peter Brock, he died in a racing accident on friday arvo. Its just going off over here. Oh Adam and i bought a big fat giant Plasma TV. Porn looks great on it. LOL i am joking peoples, i havent watched any yet. lol pt 2. ok better go, my T/L is looking at me all creepy like.. u see he was gay, but he found god and is now straight and trying to give up that life style...alright going now. miss u and love the blogs. keep safe chicky babe.
11th September 2006

Thanks for the great blog Kel
It's been so good following your Canadian journey. I was glad of the maps to just check what part of the country you were in. Loved the photos, too. I feel lonely for London now and have no need to check a map in that part of the Universe. I hope the rewards of the efforts exceed all your expectations Kel. Love Joan

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb