Day Twelve- Men Do What They Do Best


Advertisement
Published: December 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in London and while one group had one idea of a good time involving spending money on frivolities, the more intellectual of the two decided to cultivate their minds by taking advantage of the city's free cultural institutions. After another somewhat uncomfortable continental breakfast in the capacious and somewhat stuffy breakfast room at the Mandarin, we decided to make a return v... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

One Last Trip Around the ShoesOne Last Trip Around the Shoes
One Last Trip Around the Shoes

Women are such slobs. Look how these shoes are thrown all around the department. They try on a size 12 then toss it back in with the 7s. If you found a shoe that fit and you liked, good luck finding its mate in this mess. Men at least return merchandise to the approximately correct spot. Cassie didn't find anything she liked so we didn't have to deal with that problem.
The Princess Diana MonumentThe Princess Diana Monument
The Princess Diana Monument

This seemed more than a little wierd to me - a monument to the late princess down in the basement of a department store. Almost as tacky as all the pickup trucks up here with the signs saying "Dedicated to the Memory of Dale Earnhart". So touching. When I croak, dedicate a Moe's Southwestern burrito after me.
She Didn't Get Enough Sushi in Japan I GuessShe Didn't Get Enough Sushi in Japan I Guess
She Didn't Get Enough Sushi in Japan I Guess

Cassie was enthralled by the big sushi conveyor belt. I'm not sure why she didn't get that for dinner though.
I'll Stick With Real British FoodI'll Stick With Real British Food
I'll Stick With Real British Food

So I ordered Tikka Masala Chicken. We would've done better to go into Soho to a real Indian restaurant. But by this time we were dragging and still had that unenviable task of packing ahead of us.
Now This Looks Real Good!!!Now This Looks Real Good!!!
Now This Looks Real Good!!!

I was sorely tempted to get this as dessert, but it was super expensive. I'm sure the Italians do it much better anyway.
This is How Close We Were to HarrodsThis is How Close We Were to Harrods
This is How Close We Were to Harrods

I am standing by the front door of the gigantic department store taking this picture. You can see our brilliantly lit hotel just a few steps away. Although we didn't see any, I bet a lot of celebs stay at the Mandarin Oriental because of its proximity to shopping.
The Suite Life for the Little LundsThe Suite Life for the Little Lunds
The Suite Life for the Little Lunds

I still don't quite understand how the kids ended up with the Turret Suite, but I had no problem with my gigantic single room with a bed large enough to accomodate the cast of "Gladiator". Gail and her room also had the same size room as mine and they were quite thrilled so I guess just this one time we could spoil our kids.
Playing at HeathrowPlaying at Heathrow
Playing at Heathrow

The next day we got out to Heathrow quite easily despite the anxiety I felt regarding hauling all our bags, riding the Underground at rush hour, getting through security and hoping to beat the oncoming blizzard. While we waited in the terminal sipping coffee and tea, I played with my camera some more. I discovered the machine gun setting and promptly snapped a series of almost 100 shots of a 747 rolling down the runway. I keep all those pictures in my files, but decided to show mercy and only post three. Clicking through those 90 some frames rapid fire is almost like watching a video. But I have video capabilities already with the camera so what was the point?
The Whale is RollingThe Whale is Rolling
The Whale is Rolling

Thirty years later I am still wowed by the sight of these lumbering machines eventually rising up into the air. They look to big and ungainly to get off the ground, yet they've been doing it for four decades. The 747 is still my favorite plan. More leg room, faster loading and unloading, ample storage, plenty of bathrooms and room to walk and I think better kitchen facilities. Put those entertainment units of a 777 on a 747 and you'd have my perfect plane.
We Beat the StormWe Beat the Storm
We Beat the Storm

We boarded our flight back to Newark just a short time later. As you can see in this photo the ceiling was already pretty low. We got out just as the snow began to fall. People trying to leave later that day suffered long delays and cancellations.
What We Left Behind What We Left Behind
What We Left Behind

A few days after returning home to the States, Tyler e-mailed me this picture of the storm that hit the UK after we left.



Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 23; qc: 93; dbt: 0.1112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb