Chiswick Garden


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Chiswick
September 6th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We had heard from the English Heritage Magazine that Chiswick Garden had been restored. We decided to explore the garden on the Bank Holiday on 30 August 2010. As we had visited there last year, we remembered the route from Turnham Green.

Upon arrival at Chiswick Garden, we followed the woodland walks and found the cafe and children's playground, which had been added on the park. We walked through the backyard of the house and sat down on the bank to the river. We had a picnic overlooking the river and cascade. There were many families with children and dogs playing with the water in the warm afternoon. The water was flowing down from the cascade and it looked stunning with the rock plants.

Cones of the cedar trees have come out. We saw brown, cream, and grey cones on the cedar trees' branches. The restoration work allowed us to see Burlington's stunning collections of sculptures and statues, which were all positioned in an orderly manner. We looked at Inigo Jones Gateway, strolled through the Italian Garden and Conservatory. There were a wide variety types of camelias planted in the Conservatory and we saw plants with big buds, which would be blooming between late winter and early spring.

Next, we found the Doric Column, Deer House, and walked through the Napoleon's Walk toward the Rustic House.

We returned to the junction, which was named "Patte d'oie or goose foot", which showed an arrangement of radiating avenues leading to the ornamental buildings.

The small domed temple was under the renovation around the Orange Tree Garden. We walked to the bridge, built by the 5th of Duke of Devonshire. Many waterfowls, willows, and water plants were thriving, and they were harmonised with the tranquil water.

The woodland path led us to the Cricket ground where we had a picnic lunch last year. We walked down and found the obelisk and Burlington Gate.

After returning to the house, we decided to stroll through the Italian Garden again. There were quite a few colourful flowers decorating the shady spot. There were a number of beautiful garden objects, e.g. urns, sundial, and beautifully designed benches.

We truly enjoyed exploring the 18th century landscape garden in the southwest of London on 30 August 2010.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.603s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.5394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb