My first blog!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Bloomsbury
July 10th 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Walking Tour

1st point Where we live

Okay so, I'm not great at the blogging thing but I'm giving it a go! I suppose my order will work backward because this site doesn't have Milan yet (where i started.) Today we traveled from Paris to London on the Eurostar high speed train which took us through the Chunnel. As exciting as it was it made for a nice nap! We were out of the Chunnel in 20 minutes and the whole train ride took just over 2 hours! It got over 200 mph but it was much smoother and nicer than the last train we took. When we got to london we were met by FSU study center staff. They gave us our Oyster Cards in Ikea envelopes (apparently Ikea sponsors The Underground in some way.) These cards act as debt cards in the Tube. You lay them down on a sensor when you enter and leave so they can charge you according to how far you went. If you don't swipe it on the way out they assume you went the max length and charge you 4 pounds (ouch!) So we went through the tube to Russell Square and walked to our flats. I live with my roommate for the trip in my room then three other girls in another room and we share 2 bathrooms a living/dining room and a good size (I'm a college kid if i can walk in it it's a good size) kitchen. We are on the third floor, so I work my glutes several times a day!! We have 2 washers and dryers in the basement which we can use free of charge. There is a very cool intercom system with a video component for the front door but we are lacking a peep hole so... ups and downs. It is much cooler outside than we were expecting but there isn't any AC so i'm glad it isn't hot!

We took a walking tour of the area lead by one of our teachers Susan Fiorito. She took us down Great Russell Street past the Brittish Museum. She showed us the Study center where we have meetings and activities. Then we turned down Tottenham Court Road where there are tons of shops and pubs. She pointed out a grocery store and the direction of Soho. Then she let us loose at Leicester Square. A few girls and I went out for fish and chips but we opted for water over beer after a morning of travel but the food was great! We had to be back at the Flat for out luggage to be dropped off at 5:30 (the best way to travel I'm convinced! A truck brought our stuff from Paris to London so we only had to keep track of our purses on the journey.)

We checked out the study center which has a library, computer lab, auditorium, lounge w/ VCR (old school style). Then we figured out the WIFI and the 6 channels on the TV. Then called it a night! This felt like the first time in two weeks when we could relax!

Advertisement



14th July 2008

so glad you're blogging
It was great to see you on the blog. Can't wait to see some pictures. Sounds like you are doing wonderfully well. I hope to talk to you soon, though I didn't mind that you only talked to your dad last time. You know me and the phone! Love you sweetie. Keep safe.
15th July 2008

YES! WE LIVE THROUGH YOU!!!
Great to hear about your adventures! Thanks so much for taking the time!!! Love you! Sherri
16th July 2008

Hey Chelsea, How exciting! So glad that we can tag along. As you can imagine, since it is summer in Florida it is hot and humid with daily evening storms. Some things never change. How long will you be in London?
30th July 2008

Go Chelsea! It's so much fun learning about your adventures. Sounds like you are having an incredible experience. Enjoy! XXOO, Kristine (P.S. have you seen fabulous shoes??)

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb