A Spot of Tea, Please


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Belgravia
November 12th 2013
Published: November 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Tea 1Tea 1Tea 1

At Fortnum & Mason
Today was the best day yet in London! We slept in a little bit and took our time heading down to Westminster Abbey. We spent almost 3 hours exploring the Abbey - there was a really good free audio tour that you could pick up on your way in (I would highly recommend doing this as it really helped bring the Abbey to life). It is fun/interesting to read the different memorials and monuments. Again, disappointing that I couldn't take pictures inside as there are some things I would have liked to capture.

After Westminster we meandered around, shopped, and walked by St James' Palace. St James' was in the news recently because it is where Prince George was christened. There are also Palace Guards standing out front (you know - the ones who are not allowed to talk to you no matter what you do to try and distract them). The guards walk back and forth every 7 - 8 minutes to keep their blood flowing. Sam and I were cracking up because a girl went to take her picture with the guard, and he suddenly started to move - her face was priceless (and no, it wasn't Sam
SignSignSign

Outside Westminster Abbey
or me).

We had afternoon tea reservations at the Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon inside Fortnum and Mason. The Salon was recently refurbished and reopened as the Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon by the Queen, Camilla, and Kate Middleton on March 1, 2012 and won the Tea Guild Award of Excellence in 2013. It was wonderful to sit for a few hours and enjoy tea. The tea itself was delightful. We opted for the traditional afternoon tea which included sandwiches, scones (with clotted cream and jam!), and pastries. There was also a cake trolley (omg omg omg!), but we opted against anything on the trolley because we were stuffed. I am also really excited that I finished Christmas shopping for my mom AND was able to have it shipped directly back to the States.

We made it an early night tonight because A. we are exhausted and B. we have a full day tomorrow with an all day tour to Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath. I uploaded 8 pictures tonight - enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Tea 3Tea 3
Tea 3

Super good - the red velvet macaroon with cream cheese frosting and raspberry jam was a fav, but the rosewater éclair was a bit odd.


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb