Part Thirteen - The Cotswolds


Advertisement
Published: April 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, this is Bourton-On-The-Water in the Cotswolds, the most gorgeous part of England we have visited, in fact when we first arrived and walked down to the water with it's cottages and little shops running along it, we felt quite emotional because it was just what we hoped for and more. We absolutely love it here and our cottage, with it's 16th century well in the front yard is an absolute gem. It is built of Cotswold stone of course and has the bathroom, little kitchen and cosy living room, with it's fireplace dominating the room downstairs, and two bedrooms upstairs. The floors downstairs are flagstone and are nice and sturdy, but the floors upstairs move and creak when you walk on them and you can literally roll jaffas from one side of the room to the other - we love it! I asked for wonky and I got wonky! The cottage is very well appointed though and is heated very well, though the weather has been stonking (new English term). Though here stonking means 14 degrees celcius and like Scotland that is hot enough for skimpy clothing and swimming in the little river that runs through the village. The water is very shallow so the children can easily wade in the water and you can see nice sized trout swimming happily against the currents knowing no one is allowed to fish them out. Being springtime, there are lots of ducks and ducklings in the water too, some big families and some small. We came across a young man standing guard over a poor duckling who wasn't looking at all well while his friend 'went for the vet'. Bless him, but I don't think the vet would do street curb calls for dying ducklings - mother nature takes care of that.

We haven't had a lot of internet access here, in fact until now the only internet 'cafe' we were aware of also doubled as the local funeral parlour!!! We did use the service once, but it was so expensive and just a lkttle bit creepy so we haven't been back. We have had to rely on picking up free wi fi access wherever we can when we are out. Today I saw a sign pointing to the library and tried there, and whooppee, internet free of charge, so here is what will probably be my last blog of the holiday.

After the dramas of the last week, we are looking good to be able to fly back to Rome tomorrow so we can head home. It has been quite a worry at times, as the news is filled with news of the volcano and how they are trying to get the Brits home - no mention of the travellers from other countries trying to fly in the opposite direction and no one to contact for help. Anyway, on with the Cotswolds...

We had this little cottage booked for one week, which we are very happy about. Bourton-on-the-Water has been a wonderful base for day trips and we have made the most of not only the village we are in, but other places no so far away. We have the hire car, so it has been easy to get just about anywhere. We took a drive to Oxford where we walked through the gardens of one of Oxfords 39 campuses in the town. Who new it was that big? The grounds are pretty special of course and we felt quite posh being allowed to take a wander through. We spent the day walking around the town and checking out the local sites. We had lunch in yet another English pub (our new favourite eating venues) and had local delicacies of sausages and mash. I had Lincolnshire Swirl which is one long sausage rolled round like a snail shape on a bed of mashed potatoes and Ron had Apricot Curry sausages on mashed potatoes (those descriptions were dedicated to my Matthew who said he speed reads through the food descriptions!).

Tuesday Ron wasn't feeling very well, but being the trouper he is, still insisted we drive to Bath as planned. We were keen to see the Roman Baths and the beautiful scenery on the drive down and neither disappointed. The weather has been spectacular and the countryside is so green, lush and hilly with the adorable black faced sheep happily grazing. The fencing here, as it was in Ireland is the dry stone walls - miles and miles of them, which add to the character of the landscape. In Ireland there were fields filled with unclaimed rock, but here it is green, green grass in between the fencing. We will miss that when get get back to our poor parched land at home.

Wednesday was Stratford-on-Avon, another town in the Cotswolds - right up the top. This town was on our list of possibles when we were cottage hunting as it is well advertised, and while it is very nice, it is a lot bigger that 'our' village and therefore not as quaint and cosy. Having said that, they do have a stunning river running through the town too, just a lot bigger and deeper than our little River Windrush, and theirs have tour boats taking visitors for scenic tours. We didn't take a cruise, but we did take the 'ferry' across the river which lasted a whole minute. A very efficient little barge which runs along a cable which sits under the water. The driver turns a handle manually which is attached to the cable and off you go. Stratford is the home of William Shakespeare and they certainly make the most of that. Like Salzburg is full of Mozart memorabilia and references to the great man, Stratford is Shakesperean through and through. You can visit the local church where he is buried, alongside a few other members of his family (inside the church), the theatre company which of course is named in his honour and just about any bakery, restaurant or book shop in town will share part of the history. We decided to take a look at Anne Hathaway's house (his wife) which was just out of town but apparently worth a look. We didn't arrive till fairly late in the afternoon, which meant we had to take the speedy tour, missing out of some of the gardens. The thatched farmhouse was gorgeous, with her family having a history of thirteen generations having lived there since around the 13th century I think. The floors in the kitchen were original stone but most of the house has understandably undergone changes over the centuries. The cottage gardens were superb, full of spring flowering plants and bulbs, but in the summer, it will be a picture, as they have lots of frames along the paths with sweet peas planted below them. Mum and Aunty Shirley would salivate.

Yesterday was a day of international travel again. We drove for just one and a quarter hours and we arrived in Tom Jones country - Wales. Poor us, more green rolling hills, black faced sheep and views to die for. The skies have been clear and blue and the sun shining on the hills made for a magnificent sight. We first visited 'Monmouth' where we found Monmouth Castle, where Henry V was born - more excitement for Ron the history buff. We had made a picnic lunch, so we thought it would be fun to eat it in the ruins of the castle. Another walk around town, finding something nice for afternoon tea and listening to the new accents. After that we headed to Abegarvenny in Wales for more of the same - castle ruins, countryside and lots of walking - delightful!

Today we are staying put - spending another sunny day walking around the village, doing some last minute shopping and basically saying goodbye to Europe. We have had a wonderful time, seen lots of amazing places and funny sights as well as some we would rather not. We have visited lots of 'interesting' toilets and made a sport of having a 'free wee' in places where it is a luxury rather than a necessity to use the public toilets (Venice were charging the equivalant of $2.50 per visit!). We have struggled with the languages, but somehow managed to get our messages through and found ways and
The local jewellersThe local jewellersThe local jewellers

Does this give Aunty Shirley a new excuse to go jewellery shopping?
means of washing and drying our clothes. But most importantly, we still get along having spent 24 hours a day for the past eight weeks.

Thanks to everyone who has read and enjoyed the blogs - there is so much more I could have put into them, but there is also so much to do out there that you just have to stop typing and keep moving.

Love to everyone and see you home on Monday night.
xxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

River Avon - Stratford-upon-AvonRiver Avon - Stratford-upon-Avon
River Avon - Stratford-upon-Avon

The church in the background is where Shakespeare is buried


24th April 2010

Welcome Home
Dear Sue and Ron, Although it will be great to see you both next week, I will miss your blogs Sue. I feel the trip brought out even more of your creative side, your journalistic skills, your wordsmanship and a side we have not seen in your first 49 years. I have thoroughly enjoyed your trip, thankyou for sharing it so fully. I will start a campaign we should all go back to writing letters. Safe journey home, look forward to seeing you, no gold bands I hope. Love Always Mumx MIL2b

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb