Castles and High Tea


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Gloucestershire » Amberley
April 20th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.9085, -0.534013

First full day in UK. After overnighting at LHR I picked up a car and drove down to Sussex, chosing the classic scenic route (via Chiddingfold, Petworth, Halnaker) which showcased England's 'green and pleasant land' with lots of spring blossom and flowers out.

Staying in Felpham with Jane & Pete, Emma, Claire & Digby dog. A real treat in the afternoon - Afternoon Tea at Amberley Castle to celebrate the birthdays of both Jane and myself.

Amberley Castle stands on land that was gifted to the local Bishopric in 683 AD and the Doomsday Book records that Amberley had 17 villagers and 25 smallholders at that time.

The structure was originally a timber-framed hunting lodge built in 1103 by Bishop Luffa of Chichester but in 1140 it was replaced by a more elaborate stone hall. Over the ensuing 250 years a larger Great Hall, crenellations, battlements and a portcullis transformed it into a fortified manor house. Amberley Castle hosted a number of royal visitors including Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.

In 1643 the Castle was destroyed by orders from Oliver Cromwell during the Civil War as he sought to oust the incumbent tenant - a Royalist! By 1660 the ruins were transformed into a Manor house and the over the next 250 years various buildings were added to the structure.

Since 1926 Amberley Castle has been in private ownership, and in 1988 converted to a hotel and in 2004 became part of the exclusive Relais & Chateau collection of luxury properties.

It is absolutely stunning with beautiful period rooms. The gardens are a delight with lots of enticing nooks and separate walled areas, ponds and statues. It was a bit too chilly to sit outside but in summer it would be idyllic.





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



22nd April 2017

Hi Nikki, what a great alternative to facebook well done! Lovely to see you through the joy of your escapades. Es xx
22nd April 2017

Looks divine Nikki - such a lovely place to celebrate your birthday.
22nd April 2017

Tanti auguri a te
23rd April 2017

Loved reading about your exploits!
23rd April 2017

Great tea party! happy Birthday today!!
23rd April 2017

A perfect start NIKKI - enjoy!
23rd April 2017

Loving the peacock!!!! Bring him home. Fantastic idea and look forward to following your travels. X
23rd April 2017

Beautiful place to visit you are lucky
23rd April 2017

What an eloquent blog! Loved it and the peacock!
24th April 2017

Lovely to see and to read about... can't wait to get there next month. Keep blogging please.... Jx

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb