Home Sweet Home


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Essex » Waltham Abbey
March 7th 2013
Published: March 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

WALTHAM ABBEY IS A SMALL QUIET MARKET TOWN OF ABOUT 20,400 IN THE SOUTH WEST OF THE COUNTY OF ESSEX (15 MILES) OF LONDON BETWEEN THE LEA VALLEY AND EPPING FOREST IT TAKES ITS NAME FROM THE ANICENT MONUMENT ABBEY CHURCH OF WALTHAM HOLY CROSS WALTHAM ABBEY WAS THEN CALLED WALTHAM HOLY CROSS THE TOWN IS IN THE DISTRICT OF EPPING FOREST ALSO HAS ITS OWN COUCIL AND IS TWINNED WITH THE GERMAN TOWN OF HORSTEL.

Landmarks - medieval Waltham Abbey Church was kept as it was close to a town and is still used as a parish church. In addition there are other remains of the former abbey – the Grade II* listed Midnight Chapel, the gatehouse, a vaulted passage and Harold’s Bridge – all in the care of English Heritage. These grounds are notable for the reputed grave of Harold II or "Harold Godwinson", the last Anglo-Saxon King of England.

LOCAL MUSEUM Housed in a building dating back to 1520 is the Epping Forest District Museum, which tells the story of the people who have lived and worked in this part of south Essex from the earliest times to the present

ROYAL GUNPOWDER MILLS On the site of a former gunpowder factory another museum illustrates the evolution of explosives and the development of the Royal Gunpowder Mills (an Anchor Point of ERIH, The European Route of Industrial Heritage) through interactive and traditional exhibitions and displays. The site hosts living history and battle re-enactment events most summer weekends and also offers a self-guided nature walk that shows visitors the ecology that has reclaimed much of the remaining 175 acres (0.71 km2).

WALTHAM ABBEY HAS A CINEMA THAT SHOWS VARIOUS FILMS IN THE TOWN HALL

WALTHAM ABBEY HAS A SWIMMING POOL,SPORT CENTER, VARIOUS LITTLE SHOPS, PUBS ,CAFES AND EATERYS , RESTAURANTS AND TWO LARGE SUPERMARKETS TESCO AND LIDL'S

ABBEY GARDEN'S IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO VISIT WITH HIS STUNNING HISTORY AND GREENERY WITH BEAUTIFUL NATURE AND WILDLIFE

LEE VALLEY PARK FARMS GREAT PLACE TO VISIT WITH A SMALL COST OF ENTY

FISHING VILLAGES - FISHERS GREEN AND HOLYFIELDS

SEWSTONE ROAD CAMPSITE

VARIOUS HOTEL'S - MARRIOTT HOTEL, PREMIAR INN, TRAVEL LODGE

BEAUTIFUL CANALS

WHITE WHITE RAFTING CENTER THAT WAS USED TO HOST AT THE 2012 GAMES

The Charter Market IS HELD to this day on Tuesday AND SATURDAY of each week.

EASY TRANSPORT ARE REACHABLE Waltham Abbey is served by Essex County Council sponsored services and some non-subsidised services, linking the town to destinations in Hertfordshire, Essex and London.

WALTHAM ABBEY NEAREST RAILWAY STATION IS WALTHAM CROSS WHICH PROVIDES A FREQUENT SERVICE INTO LONDON BUSES PROVIDE THIS SERVICE TO THE STATION THE NEAREST LONDON UNDERGRPOUND STATION IS AT LOUGHTON

WE HAVE HAD SOME FAMOUS RESIDENTS OVER THE YEARS TO THE TOWN - ITV 2 PROGRAMME ONLY WAY IS ESSEX HAD OUR FAMOUS PIE AND MASH SHOP CALLED TONY'S FEATURED ON IT WITH CHARCTERS JOEY AND FRANKIE ESSEX AND ALSO A BIG HIT WITH DAVID BECKHAM AND HIS FAMILY , JADE GOODY LIVED NEARBY IN UPSHIER TILL SADLY HER DEATH, BBC NEWS PRESENTER KATE SILVERTON, ALSO GREW UP IN THE AREA. PRINCESS MARGRET VISITED THE TOWN IN 1966, SPURS FC PLAYERS HAVE VISITED OUR LOCAL SCHOOLS AND ATTENDED SPECIAL EVENTS.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb