In The Beginning


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Essex » Southend-on-Sea
January 28th 2013
Published: January 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Where to start?? A question that applies to this blog as well as to planning our trip!



Travelling was never on my list of 'to do's', I've worked hard, and enjoyed it (mostly), but most of my earnings just went towards the upkeep of my flat and perhaps a week in the sun or, more recently, walking holidays. Then I met Steve and learned that he has, for a long time, had a dream of travelling Europe in a camper van! He's far more widely travelled than me to begin with, this not being difficult as I had never ventured further than a Greek Island when we planned our first holiday together last year to Vietnam! What an amazing holiday that was, a fantastically diverse country, and definitely sparked a desire (and a confidence: long haul flight!!! Yikes!!!!) in me to get out there and see more, do more!



So, after months of excited discussion, map buying and window shopping on motorhome/caravan dealer websites, we have purchased our 'van'.. ok so it's not a VW camper but neither of us are getting any younger and we decided that a degree of comfort would be vital (and yes, I admit, it is important to me that there be a toilet in the van in case of emergencies). We have also given it a name: Petit Van Blanc, a play on Vin Blanc and the fact that we had a vague idea we would go to France first..



With our departure date set: 17th April, it's time to start planning our route! Very loosely speaking we know we'd like to travel through France, Portugal, Spain and Italy, possibly including Croatia and Slovenia too but to be honest, we'll just see how long our money lasts and hope we don't drive each other crazy before we reach the Loire Valley!



With a vague notion of some areas of France we'd like to visit, we switched off the telly the other night (Steve's easily distracted by the likes of Top Gear and QI), opened a bottle of Medoc and a bag of Cadbury Creme Egg Splats (an unusual combination) and concentrated on planning our first few weeks!

Advertisement



29th January 2013

Medoc
Surely Champagne with eggs?

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb