A Grand Weekend in Brighton


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Brighton
August 1st 2011
Published: September 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Back on 26 April 1997 Brighton played their last ever game at the Goldstone Ground. It was an emotional experience for all who were there, and none of us dreamed it would take a whole 14 years to get a new stadium. The campaign has been well reported and summarised by the BBC (Part 1 and Part 2). 2 years in exile playing at Gillingham followed, then 12 long years at the athletics track of Withdean Stadium. When Saturday Comes published a fine article showing why Brighton fans find their blood boiling at the very mention of the names Archer and Belloti.

Anyway, those times are behind us now. For many years Trish has been on a promise of a weekend in a posh hotel when Brighton play their first game in their shiny new stadium. That day finally came on Saturday 30 July 2011. We found a great deal at The Grand and headed to the South coast for a weekend of fun before returning to Tunisia.

On Saturday morning we pulled up outside the hotel but found the valet parking spaces were all full so we had to park the car ourselves in a nearby car park. A quick pint in the Evening Star and a catch up with friends was followed by squeezing onto a train out to Falmer. Russ was quite emotional and he certainly wasn't alone. The stadium is amazing. AWESOME! The game was pretty good too with a wonder goal from Kazenga Lua Lua complete with somersault celebrations, but it was spoiled by soft goals gifted to the victorious Tottenham Hotspur who tried to spoil the day. Their 3-2 victory didn't dampen our spirits though.

It was great catching up with a few old faces after the game. We enjoyed a nice pint as we toured the concourse looking at the displays and memorabilia. It also gave time for the queues for the train to subside.

The weekend then degenerated into widespread eating (Greek and Thai - both unavailable in Tunisia) and drinking (lovely British ales!) and catching up with friends. We need to keep abreast of British culture to be good English teachers and we certainly got a faceful of this so-called culture with entertaining stag and hen parties!!

So that was it, a Grand weekend in many ways. Onwards and upwards.

SEAGULLS!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The queue for Dick's BarThe queue for Dick's Bar
The queue for Dick's Bar

We didn't go in!
The bandThe band
The band

playing Sussex by the Sea!
The Red Lobster (?)The Red Lobster (?)
The Red Lobster (?)

But it was just too busy.


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb