Day Trip to Brighton


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Brighton
August 14th 2009
Published: August 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

BrightonBrightonBrighton

Brighton Pavilion from the East
Today was a day trip to Brighton, about a 1 hour train ride south of London.

George IV at age 19 decided to move down to Brighton and over many years developed Brighton Pavilion. When he took over from his father as King, he got Nash to work on the building and incorporate new ideas and enhance his seaside retreat. The Pavilion played an important role in his society engagements. After George IV departed, Queen Victoria found the function of the Pavilion (batchelor pad) less appealing to her family of 9. She extracted all the furniture and items that appealed to her and then sold Brighton Pavilion to the local council. The council has worked to restore this amazing building to be the similar to how George IV and Nash intended.

In the tradition of George IV, I headed down to the pier to engage in fish and chips by the seaside. Neither the food nor the seaside was what I had expected. There is no sand here, just rocks. and the whole vicinity is spilling over with arcades, rides and food stalls. Not sure it is how George would have pictured it to become. Makes you appreciate just
BrightonBrightonBrighton

Brighton Pavilion from the north (near museum)
how lovely Henley, Grange and Glenelg have evolved back home.

I wandered over to the Brighton Museum for a short while. It is well presented, but after visiting the Brittish Museum 2 days ago, it was a little small by comparison. Headed back to the train station, a lovely old building perched on the edge of the hill. The atrium covering the platforms is lovely, would have certainly been impressive when first built. The train journey was divided into 2 segments. There was a fast train from East Croydon directly to Brighton. Changing trains at East Croydon to get to Honor Oak Park to ride a slower local train that stopped at each station.

The walk from Honor Oak Park station to home offered a walk through two lovely parks atop the local hill. Gresham Park offered quite a number of vistas to take photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

BrightonBrighton
Brighton

Brighton Pier
BrightonBrighton
Brighton

Brighton Train Station
BrightonBrighton
Brighton

Flower Garden at the Victoria Fountain - Brighton
Honour Oak ParkHonour Oak Park
Honour Oak Park

Vista at Gresham Park - Honour Oak


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb