Durham


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Durham County
October 5th 2007
Published: October 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left the cheap hotel in the industrial estate and drove back to Whitby where there is the remains of an old Abbey on a cliff overlooking the sea which was built back in Saxon times. This was another place run by English Heritage and it had an excellent audio guide which we listened to in detail.

After leaving Whitby, we drove into Durham where we stopped for lunch. Durham has a castle and a cathedral which are located on the top of a hill at one end of the town. Unfortunately the castle is used as a college for the Durham University and we were unable to go through it, however we did get a good photo of the cathedral from the other side of the river. We had learnt our lesson with parking in large towns by now and this time headed straight for a pay carpark.

After Durham, we headed further north to a place called Fort Chester which was located on Hadrian's Wall. We were both expecting there to be a bit more to Hadrian's Wall than there actually was. It was a bit hard to tell what was Hadrian's Wall and what was just a stone wall built as the boundary to a paddock as there are stone walls criss crossing the countryside all over the place.

We left Hadrian's Wall and drove back to the coast to a place called Alnwick where we found a nice B&B to stay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb