Train trip to Durham


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Durham County » Durham
September 2nd 2016
Published: September 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

A warm September morning in London turned into a warmish afternoon in Durham. The scenery on the way up was pretty unspectacular - mostly flat - until we actually drew close to Durham where the cathedral and castle towered above the trees and the station.
Durham grew round the shrine of St Cuthbert who was a hermit monk who lived and died on Lindisfarne, attracting pilgrims until the Vikings threatened to invade in the tenth century. The monks took St Cuthbert's body and travelled around the north of England until they reached Durham and built an Anglo Saxon cathedral to house his shrine. A Norman cathedral, was then built round that, and became the frontrunner of the Gothic style of architecture with pointed arches across the ceiling, emabling taller building.
Inhabitants must have thighs of steel to cope with the steep hills up and down to the river Wear which snakes round the main part of the city centre.
Our evening plan to hear some jazz was scuppered by the lead singer's ill health. An excellent meal of fish, chips and mushy peas, followed by TV in the hotel room.
A guided tour round the Norman castle was fascinating. The castle is used by students of one of the colleges of Durham university: 200 of them live in the castle keep, and eat in the Great Hall, which must make them feel like Harry Potter. In holiday times the keep is used as bed and breakfast accommodation, and the Great Hall is a wedding venue. Our tour of 40-odd people threaded their way through the setting up of a wedding; tablecloths being ironed, chair covers being tied round with ribbon, with strict instructions not to touch the cake.
Lastly a guided river trip; not very far, but very scenic.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb