The May/June Trips


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset
June 2nd 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

St PaulsSt PaulsSt Pauls

St Pauls From The Wobbly Bridge
Dear Bo and Dud,

I returned to work this week for the ‘final countdown’ 8 weeks to go!!! The last 6 weeks have been a frenzied attack on caravan and awning, with a couple of supplement breakettes to try things out.

The purchase of new awning poles and a chest fridge drew us to a little place called Brompton by Sawdon, about 15 miles from Scarborough. A lovely flat site, so the awning went up well. However, after 5 days of tugging and pulling, Howard insisted that we look into getting the canvas extended by about 18 inches. The chest fridge was an immediate ‘hit’, we are astonished and delighted at the amount of lager, white wine, tonic (for the gin) and fizzy water (for the Irish) that we can pack in. It works from 12 volts, so we can use it in the car, and mains electric - brilliant.

It's years since we visited Scarborough, and we were surprised by how well the resort is being re-vamped. A trip to Whitby was a necessity so we had to eat fish and chips and then there was Filey for pink ice cream. A fun few days at the
The GlobeThe GlobeThe Globe

The Globe Theatre
sea side and the waist band goes a little tight.

So the awning went off to be extended, the cushions from the caravan went away to have new filling and the caravan, back to where we bought it from to have some warranty work done. The bits all finally came back together in time for the Spring Bank Holiday.

We first went to a place called St. Neots, in Cambridgeshire for 4 days. It was hot and sunny on our arrival but because it was Bank Holiday, inevitably the weather started to change and it became much cooler, duller and then the rain started. Fortunately, this did not deter a pair of barn owls from doing an evening patrol of the next field; they were a joy to watch.

Then off to London. People look at us with disbelief when we tell them that we stay on a farm within walking distance to the tube station. Aldborough Hall Farm, is an inner city ‘Darling Buds of May’ C.L. The first time we arrived here we were greeted by two pot bellied pigs and a donkey. It can be very disconcerting opening the blinds of the caravan in
Paternoster SqPaternoster SqPaternoster Sq

Paternoster Sq where we had lunch
a morning and finding a donkey looking back at you!!

We’ve still got our Oyster Card from last year, so travelling into London by tube is extremely good value for money. As usual we walked miles, St. Paul’s, the Wobbly Bridge, The Globe, Tower Bridge, Westminster, Bird Cage Walk and the National Gallery. Then of course the main reason for our visit, my birthday present, to see the Sound of Music. The performance was enthralling and was over far too quickly. I have told Howard that when we return from our Great Adventure I may go into musical theatre. I could be Andrew Lloyd Webber’s next great discovery ………….watch this space!!

Love to you both

Howard & Hilda

P.S. Knitted antimacassar’s for the caravan - I don’t think so thank you.





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Tower BridgeTower Bridge
Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb