It's been a while - Last Bit


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset
July 13th 2018
Published: July 13th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Minehead - Portland

This is the route (ish) we took on this three part catch up. It takes in all sorts of roads so it was good test of man and machine. Harmonious was the outcome and all external parts still attached despite low trees and wide hedgerows.

So where to next? Didn't fancy any more narrow roads, A roads or not, if we headed West things would only get trickier. South it was then and Lyme Regis seemed a nice place to go spend a few days... Hmmm.

We pulled in to LR early evening and was chuffed to see that the two main car parks had designated Motorhome spaces, hmm well they were if you’re a Euro Box. We stuck out about eight feet so they were no good for us. Being considerate RV types, we found a spot in the Cliff Top Car Park and tucked ourselves away in the corner where we didn't bother anyone, not that there was anyone to bother, the place was empty. We were on a bit of a slope but that didn't bother us, time for a walk and some supper. Lyme Regis is indeed a beautiful place with nice beach front bars and cafes, even had a Thai right on the sea. We had a lovely evening and planned to explore some more the following day, however that parking thing was bothering me...

First thing we're up and about and at the stroke of 9 I called the local Parking Officers Office. I explained we were a Motorhome but too big for the spaces provided, we were tucked away in a corner not getting in anyone’s way. "Never mind that mate, you'll get a ticket if your not within the lines". Not very friendly.... There were some longer spaces designated for HGV's Coaches and Cars pulling Caravans which I was happy to pay the extra and park in one of them. Can't park there mate, you'll get a ticket, they're not for Motorhomes. So thank you Lyme Regis Parking Services for your welcoming attitude and flexible approach to allowing tourism into your town. Thank you also from the businesses that no doubt lose out due to the same. Lyd walked the dogs while I stayed with the RV, keeping watch for a man, or woman with a Hat and a job to do. We left a couple of hours later, a near empty car park and no Jobs worth Clippie in sight.

With an air of disappointment we checked the map and pointed our selves at Weymouth, well to be more precise, Portland. No more disappointment, Chesil Beach looked spectacular and wasted no time in parking up and setting off over the Pebble Dunes, well what else would you call them? We spent a lovely few hours messing about with the dogs and watching the Kite Surfers go nuts. As evening fell we moved just a short way up the road to our final parking spot, right next to a heavy helicopter training centre. That was to prove amazing as we watched trainee pilots being put through their paces with low level manoeuvre’s not 50ft from our spot. Portland Castle, The Verne and the Sculptures of the Quarry were all visited an yes we walked a few miles to do so. Portland is so much like Gibraltar, just on a smaller scale, I guess with the history involved its not surprising.

You'll remember me mentioning Port-en-Bessin in an earlier Blog, well another great engineering achievement of that time was the Mulberry Harbour. Sodding great lumps of hollow concrete, floated and towed across the Channel to form a secure harbour and gantry to get troops, vehicles and supplies ashore after D-Day. There's two of the sections in Portland harbour as a monument to the achievement. If you look closely you can see life size statues of troops standing on the top. All good stuff and well worth a visit.

Well finally we were empty in one tank and full up in another, also we'd watched a bit of telly on this trip so the leisure batteries were a bit low, so we left for home. No real issues, no major stuff to do, we'd had a brilliant trip. Just a couple of things I guess, since then we've decided to get Solar Panel’s fitted to keep the Batteries topped up on longer static stop overs plus I've fitted a backward facing camera, just cos I had one in the Man Drawer really but it's a useful addition anyway.

So that’s it for now, we've been at home for a week or so and getting itchy feet. We'll be off again soon, up Norf maybe this time, who knows.....

Thanks for reading. xx




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb