Crich Tramway Village


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Derbyshire » Bakewell
September 29th 2019
Published: September 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Jim and Janet headed off on Tuesday to pick up their new caravan a couple of hours drive away, very exciting. Rob and I spent a relaxing morning then headed into Bakewall for a while in the afternoon to post some postcards and say hi to Bob and June. The caravan was collected and they set up in a caravan park near the dealer to do a test run for the night.

Wednesday I took Bob and June to a medical appointment then Rob over to Chesterfield to a specialist appointment. Arriving at the Hospital in Chesterfield I was amazed to see there was a fruit and veg stall at the entrance! Apparently the NHS food is that bad. Had to take a photo of that! Arrived home to Jim and Janet pulling in the caravan very soon after. Lovely van and they are thrilled with it.

Dinner that night at the local Indian restaurant with a lovely couple, Paul and Jan and their daughter Alice.

Thursday - Jim volunteers at Crich Tramway Village as a conductor when he has time. He got a call asking if he could fill in on Thursday so off he went in his conductors uniform. Janet and I headed up after she finished taking her mum shopping. It is the most brilliant day out. "Crich Tramway Village, home of the National Tramway Museum, is situated in the heart of the Derbyshire countryside, providing a trip back to a bygone age. Vintage trams transport you along the traditional village street into open countryside with breathtaking views of the Derwent Valley." The village buildings have come from many places and rebuilt on site, absolutely amazing. The collection of trams contains more than 80 vehicles, from the earliest form of horse drawn tram through to the most advanced all electric tramcar of the first-generation trams, as well as support / maintenance vehicles.

You get an old penny when you arrive to ride the tram which you exchange with the conductor, Jim, for a ticket (very quaint) and then you can ride all day on any of the trams that are running. All run by volunteers, just fabulous.

They also have the most beautiful Woodland walk where there are the most amazing wood sculptures all made out of a tree cut with a chainsaw by artist Andrew Frost. The other wonderful thing on the walk is a labyrinth! and anyone who knows me knows how much I love labyrinths. It was beautiful and was lucky enough to walk it on my own. The energy coming from the boulders mined from the local quarry was energizing and calming, very special.

It was a really special afternoon and if you go plan for a full day outing, so much fun.

Finished the day with evening drinks with Jim and Janet's neighbour Julia, who is just the most beautiful woman. Another lovely few days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb