A Day of the Arts


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Windermere
June 5th 2013
Published: June 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today was something I'd been looking forward for a while... being in the Lakes District again. I was here 5 years ago (almost to the day!) with a friend and so wanted to bring the boys here to see the beauty of the Lakes. Our first stop was Beatrix Potter's house 'Hill Top' in Near Sawrey (which is not to be confused with 'Far Sawrey'😉.<br style="color:򢰪 font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px;" /><br style="color:򢰪 font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px;" />We learnt that this year is the centenary of Beatrix Potter's marriage to William Heelis, her solicitor and the year she wrote Samuel Whiskers, where there are a lot of illustrations from that book based on her furniture, staircase and character of Hill Top, her home. Unfortunately, we can't take pictures inside, but here are a few from the outside. We also overheard someone say that we have had the sunniest day they had ever seen in the Lakes District... so we have been blessed.
This photo was outside the Tea Rooms next to Hill Top.

Hill Top After Hill Top, we went to the Derwent Pencil Factory Museum up in Keswick (pronounced Kessick). The boys were able to find robot pieces around the museum, while I filled out the quiz sheet based on the information to be learnt.





How cool are these - these are the tips of pencils having their graphite leads sculptured into numbers. After a little bit of drawing while having lunch in the 'Sketchers' cafe, we then drove to Windermere where we were staying for the night. We were given the top floor of a gorgeous bluestone slate cottage next to a babbling brook. I convinced the boys, after loads of whinging, that we needed to go into the Village and buy a couple of things, but they stopped me short from doing the forest walk I wanted to do. I convinced them that we had to do it after dinner. We went to one of the local pubs, waited till 7pm when dinner was being served, and had a pint or two of thirst quenching beverage (me beer, the boys lemonade). We got ourselves into hysterics with the conversations we were having, and somehow that transferred into the elegant dining room with views out to the Lakes. After dinner, we went for our walk through the forest, which was so enchanting! The path took us past this gorgeous house.

And into a meadow, where the boys scared the ducks and geese before running down the hills.

And some sheep on the way back to the hotel. So it was a gorgeous day all round. Not sure what's in store for tomorrow!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb