Lakes 2008 - Langdale


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Lake District
October 2nd 2008
Published: October 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

BowfellBowfellBowfell

Peewee is wearing Bowfell on her head. This mountain is several bridges too far for us today, we have a more modest prospect at 2300 feet above our heads.
The weather today is clear but has turned much colder, there is even the threat of freezing on the high tops. We set off with packed lunches today and head for the top of the Wrynose Pass. At nearly 400m, this is a glorious cheat to lighten the load of getting onto a recognised peak - Pike O'Blisco, one of the Langdale Pikes. For some reason I could never work out, my Dad did not ever venture toward the Langdales, yet from a couple of previous solo experiences recently I found the valley and the surrounding hills very impressive.

We are kitted up the full, and we have "only" 300m to climb and about 1.5 miles to reach the top of Blisco from the Pass. Progress is slow and the showers start to arrive. There are quite a few others around, including parties of keen-ohs who are heading on up toward Crinkle Crags and Bowfell. Another day. We trundle on up the Pike and arrive in time to see the fantastic views across Great Langdale Valley toward the other towering peaks of Harrison and Pike O'Stickle.

Thinking about lunch, this is when the serious weather arrives. Up till now
On topOn topOn top

Up on the top of Pike O'Blisco, we are treated to the wonderful view back down and across one of the Lakes most lovely valleys, Great Langdale. Sorry but I am not playing tennis, I just can't do drippy bits running down my neck!
it has been only annoying rain, but up here it's hail in spades. We shelter under a rock, sort of - you can see the hailstones whizzing past the lens in the one of Bob stretched out under that rock. Peewee is looking bemused and calm but is suffering a bit from a slight upset. Time to retreat down the mountain. I had never walked in ice before. It changes things somewhat, being shallow unlike real compacted snow or ice - in this, you can't tell if your boot is going onto a rock or into a deep puddle! Sticks to the rescue again.

We are pleased to regain the warmth of the car and today we retire the house to review our modest success. Today was a new conquest, only about another 180 Wainwrights to go (there are 214...).

Dinner has been arranged in the Rydal Lodge, a cosy little hotel at the bottom of the road below Rydal Mount. Five courses was too much but it was in compensation to the hotelier who kindly saved us from the iniquity of having forgotten towels! Maybe we'll take a quieter day tomorrow...

4 miles to day and
Penny is here tooPenny is here tooPenny is here too

Same place, other half! The view was wonderful but note the advancing shower from the left.. it turns out to be a hailstorm. Oh well, there's a time to sample everything.
570m says the gadget. It doesn't know the depth of the snow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Hail to the ChiefHail to the Chief
Hail to the Chief

Chief, that's me, the leader of course. I led us up here and we have had coffee and you can see the hailstones whizzing past the lens, but despite my apparent comfort it is nearly time to exit.
Time to leaveTime to leave
Time to leave

Indeed. Enough of this sunbathing.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb