Borrowdale Sheepdog Trials


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Keswick
September 21st 2014
Published: September 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

We've had an incredibly lovely September day for our first day in the Lake District and we spent it at the Borrowdale Sheepdog Trials watching shepherds and their dogs round up sheep, separate one from the group, herd the group into a pen, and more. Some of the younger dogs were a bit too eager and let one sheep get away, or couldn't herd the group into the pen within the time limit. The more experienced dogs were a bit more relaxed about it and performed beautifully.



The Herdwick sheep are sturdy, hardy, and the only breed able to withstand winter conditions out on the fells. Lambs are black when born and become lighter as they age. The fleece is dense, dries quickly, and has two layers of hair: an outer layer of hollow hairs that keep the water out and an inner layer of fine hairs that keep the sheep warm. I made the mistake of burying my fingers into the back of one to see just how thick and warm the wool was and came away with fingers stained red from the colouring brushed into its coat for showing. This rosy colouring has been a tradition for so long that the farmers no longer know why this began, only that they continue to do so.



I had intended to include photos but have realized I don't have the appropriate cable to connect camera to laptop.

Advertisement



23rd September 2014

'One Man And His Dog'
Must be interesting to learn all about the Cumbrian breeds of sheep - hope the good weather prevails -
8th March 2016

Nice article

Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 20; qc: 84; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb