Lakes Pilgrimage 2008


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Ambleside
September 27th 2008
Published: October 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lakes 2008 Places

Of course this is not a hiking map! It just points out the main places we visited during the week from our base at Rydal. The car did most of the work!

Sunbeams on Rydal WaterSunbeams on Rydal WaterSunbeams on Rydal Water

From nearly all the way up Nab Scar, desperately climbing to catch the moment before the clouds closed over again!
We have left all the jolly Residents behind in the hands of our excellent staff and made the 340 mile journey through some of the UK's finest car parks - notably the traffic jams on the M6 between Birmingham and Manchester, which today took an unreasonable 2 hours. Chris has gone on from his head start in Manchester and phones to say he's in the pub near the house at Rydal (schweinhund!) while we are still south of Man.

We arrive at Hallbank Cottage at about 3.30 pm. All is well at this familiar house, but it feels like it has been unoccupied for some weeks and needs serious warming up with the log fire. The heating is playing up (i.e. not working) but this takes another 24 hours to figure out.

First duty is to clear away the cobwebs of the 7 hour journey and get up Nab Scar, a swift 1000 feet climb behind the cottage. It's clouding over but dry with a few rays of sunlight beaming down like the searchlights on the ET spaceship illuminating the surface of Rydal Water.

We retire to the Glen Rothay Hotel for dinner.

Today's tally (ignoring the
Penny n Chris up Nab ScarPenny n Chris up Nab ScarPenny n Chris up Nab Scar

First evening after the long drive for some us!
330 miles the car did for us) was 2 miles and 330m of height.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Nab Scar SweatNab Scar Sweat
Nab Scar Sweat

Chris n Dad cooling down. This is one of the steepest ascents in the Lakes attempted by normal walkers!


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb