Lost Gardens of Heligan


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » St Austell
June 9th 2016
Published: June 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Mark had checked the bus timetable for Lost Gardens of Heligan. We were going to catch the 10:45 bus from South Street. Several buses turned up around 10:45, but after a few minutes Mark had realised that we had misses the bus. That bus didn’t show the destination and the number. However, he didn’t want to change the plan; he decided to go to Lost Gardens of Heligan by taxi. The taxi took more direct routes towards the destination than the bus: we arrived there at 11:30.

Mark showed printed combined tickets (with Eden Project) at the reception. We started exploring the Northern Gardens. We both remembered Flora’s Green, Northern Summerhouse, Kitchen Gardens, Italian Garden, Pineapple Pit, etc and a series of pictures to show how the Victorian gardens were discovered in 1990 and how the gardens have been restored.

Just after 12 o’clock, Mark suggested that we would have lunch. We went to Heligan Kitchen, and had Cornish pasty. It was pleasant and warm so we took the lunch outside.

After the lunch, we followed the Western Ride toward Sikkim, and strolled through Flower Garden including Peach House, Vinery, Citrus House and Sundial Garden. Rhododendrons were fully blossoming and decorated colourfully the lush grounds and scented plants offered therapeutic atmosphere.

Mark followed the map, and led me to Jungle via Orchard walk, Steward’s House and Emu Enclosure. As soon as we reached the Jungle, we followed the board walk laid around ponds. The Jungle possessed a huge variety of sub-tropical plants – tree ferns, bananas, giant gunneras, giant rhubarbs, skunk cabbage, bamboos and palm trees. Rhododendrons decorated the dense woodlands. Recently several new things have added to the site of the Lost Gardens of Heligan: Rope Bridge on the Jungle is one of them. Lots of people crossed over; I didn’t bother to do it.

At the bottom of the Jungle showed a striking sculpture: charcoal sculpture.

We then followed the Georgian Ride looking the Lost Valley on the right hand. It was a very peaceful and pleasant around the Lost Valley.

At the end of Georgian Ride, we took the uphill route to go back to the main entrance. All the visitors are warned that the journey for the Lost Valley is downhill and subsequently the return journey is uphill: I couldn’t complain about it.

We did remember seeing Giant’s Head
JungleJungleJungle

This is the only outdoor jungle in Britain!
and Mud Maid; we followed the Woodland walk after coming back to the main entrance. Both of them were so distinctive that no visitors could miss. We were also told that another sculpture, Grey Lady, had been added along the Woodland. This new sculpture wasn’t quite as striking as Giant’s Head and Mud Maid.

We marvelled the view of Mevagissey and popped out to see the Bee Observation Hive. I don’t like bees but they are important and good friends for gardeners.

Having planned to take the bus after 17:00, we had a tea break at Heligan Kitchen. We had a cup of tea and shared a pineapple cake. The cake was delicious – we could taste a hint of pineapples.

No.470 bus came to Heligan Garden on time, presenting the destination and the number fully, and drove through Mevagissey and brought us back to St Austell just after 6 o’clock.

We entered the Prezzo, Italian Restaurant, adjacent to the cinema. Mark had a classic pizza and I had a half portion of pizza with salad.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

View of MevagisseyView of Mevagissey
View of Mevagissey

It looks like the coastal village in Greece.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb