Excursion to Lostwithiel


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Lostwithiel
September 28th 2018
Published: September 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We decided to visit Lostwithiel, which lies tucked away in the Fowey Valley, on 19 September. We took the train from St Austell. Lostwithiel is one of the local stations in Cornwall.



Nevertheless, this quiet town had a wealth of historic artefacts and buildings – Tudor Bridge, St Bartholomew Church, The Dutchy Palace, The Grammar School, Taprell House, all of which were built between 15th century and 18th century. We popped in the church and the museum. The museum has an interesting collection of artefacts which were all donated locally and wonderful photographic collection depicting the social history of the town since the end of the 18th century. I was impressed with the calendar with photos of local historic buildings of Lostwithiel and bought the one presented at the receptionist’s desk.



We had planned visiting Restomel Castle. We found the sign for the castle near the Community Centre. We followed on the hilly road and zig-zag paths flanked by wooded areas. There were buses running towards the destination but not frequent, it was easier for us to walk.



Restomel Castle is under the care of English Heritage. We paid for the admission and bought a guidebook. After leaving the reception house, we walked uphill towards Bailey and the ruined of the castle. It was said that the first castle, built above the volley of the River Fowey, was built shortly after the Norman Conquest, but the present building, the only remains of a luxurious castle, dates from the thirteenth century. We could see the Bailey, the Ringwork, the Gatehouse, and the keep, the well and the chapel. This round shaped ruined castle showed vivid details of architecture of the luxurious castle, re-built by the King Edward, the Black Prince – the courtyard, used to be privileged inner sanctum; the gardenrobes; and the private chapel. We were able to access to the circular hallway, the 1st or 2nd floor above the ground of the castle. We enjoyed wonderful views of lush countryside and Lostwithiel town.



Afterwards, we went back to the town. We had a lovely cream team at the Dutchy Café, strolled through the historic town and browsed through shops. It started drizzling in the afternoon, but we carried on the walk in Colulson Park beside the River Fowey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb