Monday 16th - Lands End & St. Michael's Mt.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Falmouth
June 20th 2008
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Boat ride to the Mount 16 secs
2: The view from the top of the castle 22 secs
Family PhotoFamily PhotoFamily Photo

not actually from Monday, but I just snagged this off of Erika's facebook. This is when we left Gweek for Falmouth. Erika, Uncle Ray, Dad, Mom, Doug, Me, Auntie Jean, Uncle John
Today we visited Lands End, the most South Western Point of England. I have no photos to show for it except a shot of the building as we left the car park. I forgot my camera in the car, but it wasn't terribly exciting anyway, just some shops and a view of the rocky coastline. And we got stuck in traffic for an hour to see it! We ate some nasty food at a pub afterwards. We ordered "jacket potatoes" which is what they call baked potatoes, and we got these dark brown things that tasted like they'd been cooked two weeks ago and reheated. And the "salad" was nothing like any salad I'd ever seen before - it was mostly peppers with corn all over it and watercress on the top! Ew. So me and Erika just played with the watercress and she stuck it up her nose, haha.

Next we moved on to Saint Michael's Mount which was beautiful! I think that has been my favortite part of the trip so far. It was high tide so we rode over to the Island in a boat. (At low tide you can walk to it) The castle is up
Lands EndLands EndLands End

The only pic I got as we were leaving, lol.
on the top of a hill so there were gorgeous views of the ocean and we got to walk all around the castle and the church. There were also elaborate gardens all around it but we didn't have time to see them up close. The streets were all cobbled and lumpy which made the hike up and down more difficult. On the boat ride back to the mainland we got to see dolphins! I've never seen dolphins before in the wild but we chased after them in the boat and got a good look at a pair of them swimming together, it was amazing!

Then we sat at a cafe and had a cornish cream tea - so yummy!! You get a scone and put jam on it and then clotted cream and eat it with a cup of tea, it is delicious! On the walk back to the car we saw lots of wild rabbits hopping about the boat yard, they were very small brown ones, so cute!

We went back to Uncle John's in Gweek for dinner and ate our first Cornish Pasties which surprisingly were not too bad. It is sort of like a meat
Fun with watercress!Fun with watercress!Fun with watercress!

Erika sticking watercress up her nose, haha. Icky pub salad!
pie, but I think it just had beef and potato in it. For dessert we had more scones with clotted cream and fresh strawberries on top. I swear I am going to be so fat when I get back, I've been eating clotted cream, chocolate, and chips (what we call fries) here every day! lol

*There should be two videos at the top of this entry - one of the boat ride to the Mount, and one of the view from the top.*


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Dogs in pubs!Dogs in pubs!
Dogs in pubs!

The pub was full of dogs, so cool!
St. Michael's Mt.St. Michael's Mt.
St. Michael's Mt.

Looking down at the gardens and sea.
turretsturrets
turrets

Daddy at the top of the mount.
Bunnies!Bunnies!
Bunnies!

Wookit dah widdle bunny buns! So cute!
A toast!A toast!
A toast!

After dinner at Uncle John's. Doug, Mom, Dad, cousin Catherine (and my hand in the corner)


20th June 2008

Boofy says the corn/watercress salad was a delicious token made by the outside yard bunnies. They are very humble and yet street-wise, hoping the visitors would share their leftovers with them, or take them home to their pet Boofy bunnies. Boofy says the outdoor bunny chefs would benefit from watching the food channels so as to please their American tourists. Boofy himself enjoys three kinds of parsley with his salads. He also says he misses his family...it has been too hot to play outdoors in California. But he is glad you are having such a wonderful time!

Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb