Fenland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
May 25th 2007
Published: May 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Forecast for next 10-14 days is unsettled - that is to say more of the same. Oh dear!

Thursday was a good day…. long sunny spells. Exhaustive exploration of the Fenland to the south west of Ely where villages such as Sutton and Witchford were literally islands of higher land within an area of marshes, meres and streams until the land was drained in the seventeenth century.

Friday started well with wide sunny skies full of promise. Rushed down to Earith with a full day planned exploring the area to the west of the Bedford levels. Google it ! Well, to get you started the Duke of Bedford hired Dutch engineers to drain his Fenland estates. This included cutting massive drainage channels to release the pressure on rivers such as the Great and Little Ouse, Lark and Wissey. Equivalent in the USA would be the TVA or various parts of the Mississippi. Even in gloomy light these channels look impressive.

Ah, yes …. Gloomy. By half ten it was so overcast that photography was pointless. Pulled over, parked and munched my sandwiches. Brief nap interrupted by rain falling on the car. Retreated.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb